Talparid

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by chefdrp, Mar 29, 2005.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Has anyone used Talparid for moles yet? I just watched a short Vid that i got from my Lesco and it looks cool.

2. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'd love to try the stuff, but it's illegal to kill moles here. :cry:

3. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

I am actually watching it now, and I plan on using it when the moles come back to this side of the fence, me and the neighbor are going to split the $50 pricetag for a box of grubs

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I used it all last season and had great successs with it. The season before, we used Kaput gel bait, which dertainly had limited success and many other downfalls. The Talpirid works great. However, it does require more return trips for the system. You have your hunt visit to initilly mark potential runs (by poking the holes), the #2 visit to recheck what runs are active and to set bait, and #3 to check to see if those baited runs were used. It IS effective, though. The thing about this, is that it takes the guess work out of it. A few years ago, we were using aluminum phosphate. This stuff was spotty at success at best...especially in sandy, porous soils. One SURE thing though, about this stuff is that it was DEADLY. It would kill cats, dogs, birds, people,...anything that came into contact with it. It is a restricted use pesticide, and the cost factor of using these (and many other fumigants) is just tremendous.
    The Talpirid is a MUCH better way to go....hands down.

5. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I also got the video from Lesco, and I'm planning on really pushing it in the next month. The Lesco guys (in Indianapolis) told me that LCO's have been getting around $250 for Talpirid treatment. Does this sound reasonable? If you're taking 3 trips to complete the process, less the $40 or so that the poison fake worms cost, that comes to about $70 per trip. I can't see that it would take more than about 45 minutes per trip, so that seems like pretty good money.

Any thoughts?

6. Williams Services

Williams Services LawnSite Senior Member

I don't see anyone here in my area paying that but I've been wrong before ... Joe, did you mean aluminum phosphide, or phosphate?

I could see about $150 or so for it.

7. Turf Smart

Turf Smart LawnSite Member

I looked at both products and found that the Kaput label says it "controls" moles where Talpirid says it "kills" moles. I guess it's whether you just want to move them around or kill them. The Talpirid works very well but make sure not to touch the worm with bare hands. Moles have a keen sense of smell and will pick up the scent of your lunch or refreshments. :drinkup:

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry,...my typo. I meant phosphide. BIG difference.

9. airtractrdrivr

airtractrdrivr LawnSite Member

I used it last year, and had great results with it. Much better than Kaput, that's for sure!