Talpirid Revisited....

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Killswitch, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

I know its been spoken to before and Ive read the searched threads I found but has anyone actually used this stuff and had success?

Im excited about it working on a job I have that needs it bad and if so I may market the service if I feel comfortable doing so but Id like to hear any success stories first hand......

:waving:

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It works when and ONLY when you follow the directions to the "T". It is a 3 visit system. I've experimented and tried doing the shortcut...and it has limited success, at best. What I did, was just go in and bait some of the runs that I THOUGHT would be active. This doesn't always work. While it works on the obvious main runs, such as along garages, driveways, etc., it isn't always successful on the runs out in the yard - even if they are straight runs that go to foriaging areas.
    Simply out, you HAVE to mark runs with holes first (I put plastic sticks in next to where I poke the holes), and then return to see if they have been repaired. It is then that you have to return again to see if they repaired the new holes you poke down a ways from your baiting holes (which YOU cover).
    When I have followed through with this, we have had consistent results (except for new infestation coming in from field areas and such). I've got another idea for next year that we will be utilizing as a PREVENTIVE for moles, and I have strong confidence that this will work.

3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

I've used it and I'm pleased with the results.

On one property (a church) I had a large area and a lot of moles. This was kind of a tough sell so I tossed in a 30-day warranty. Lots of folks here will tell you NOT to give any kind of warranty, but I figured my costs and figured I could afford an extra trip or two if needed. I was able to knock the moles out in about 5 visits. The last couple visits were of the 10-minute variety, no problem.

On another property, mole control was built into the maintenance budget since I mowed there as well. When I spotted a mole tunnel I used a couple o' worms and killed the bugger. I didn't follow the "identify the active tunnel" instructions since I knew that if I saw a new tunnel it was active.

When I first heard of Talpirid I got excited about adding this to my arsenal of services, but I didn't get a lot of new business from it. I sent out a mole control flyer in a local paper, got a lot of calls but most didn't like the price. Perhaps they're used to buying things that don't work, :cry: and figure that my stuff wouldn't work either. And given a choice between cheap stuff that doesn't work and expensive stuff that doesn't work, you choose the cheap stuff. Try as I might, I couldn't convince most that it would actually work.

Don't underbid! Figure on at least 3 visits to the property. About the lowest I'll do mole control for is $120.00, and that's for a small job. The larger jobs are hard to bid, and frankly I'd rather lose the bid than get stuck with lots of time and expensive materials and end up only making a few bucks.

I hope I've been helpful, if you have any other questions post 'em here!

Good luck with the killin'!

4. Killswitch

Killswitch LawnSite Senior Member

Ahahahahaha.

Right on.