Talstar and scorpions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Armadillolawncare, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I put down Talstar for a customer to eliminate scorpions. I applied it at a rate of 2 lbs per 1000 in her turf and beds. A week later she is still complaining that scorpions are coming up on her back porch in the evening. The porch is cement and runs the length of her house. In front of the porch are beds that also run the lenght of the house. This is the first time I have used Talstar and need some advice. I thought I would get good control of the scorpions within just a few days. Can anyone advise me on how to proceed? I need to get control of these scorps.

2. bugthug

bugthug LawnSite Member
    from PA

Has it rained or been watered?

3. Armadillolawncare

She has an irrigation system that runs three times a week so it has been thouroughly watered in. In fact she manually ran the irrigation system after I applied it.

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Buy her a frisky cat or something.

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Scorpions.....jeez....glad I live in the upper Midwest.

6. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

we have them quite often.usually the dogs kill them and leave them on the porch for us.no real cure except removing their lairs.this is one of our smaller visitors.

visitor 2.jpg

7. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Talstar G will NOT control scorpions , most of the time .
    Why ??
    They don't put their feet in their month ,,which is how the others infect themselves with the 'cides .
    If you were to power spray and use Delta Dust in C&C , you'd have better luck .
    Also , I'll bet if she'd eliminate the ones on her porch at night , that's be the end of them ...........for a while .

Just because the label states it controls scorpions , don't not mean it is true

8. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

What? Never heard that before.

Technically, nothing can go on a label that wasn't PROVEN during EPA testing. That being said, I've experienced a few let downs in my time. :)

9. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

We used to do some perimeter applications for clients with scorpion problems. We used good old organo-phosphates. This was nearly 20 yrs ago. Point is, it worked well. Diazinon and Dursban aren't available anymore, but Malithion is. I don't use it. I don't care for cholinesterase inhibitors (nerve toxins). They do work though.

10. Armadillolawncare

So does anyone have a solution to the scorpion problems? She has little kids so whatever the answer it has to be kid friendly.