Talstar Not Working on ANTS

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dwc, May 17, 2004.

1. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering if anyone else has ran into a problem with Talstar One not working on ants. They are mainly Pyramid ants. There are hundreds of mounds on a normal 6,000 foot lawn in many parts of town. Spraying seems to make them worse if anything.
    I had the FMC etomologist/rep come out and look at several properties and he said he has never seen anything like it. They are trying to figure something out but I thought maybe someone here might have the answer. The best guess he had right off is that they are resistant to pyrethoids which takes care of many of the chemicals on the market. What does everyone do for ants in the lawn?

Thanks,
    dwc

2. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Termidor , use it .

3. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

i have used termidor around the house and phantom inside the house but they are mainly odorous house ants that are the problem there. works great from what I have used. havent used termidor in the lawn because its not labeled for it is it?

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

My Termidor is one year old .
    I heard the label has changed to include ants in the yard .
    I've not seen this , just heard it .

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

DWC

I know your licensed so I won't go there. However have you ever heard the term "Rotate". Yep time for some carbanilate or organophosphate.

6. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I am way down south and my problem is fire ants. Talstar smokes them when you soak the mounds. And can I ask...why no bait first? Can they not be baited?

Here homeowners are told to do the "Texas Two Step" use bait then knock out the mounds in a week. After that, bait regularly....Thanks

Drew

7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

DWC

Do a search "Fire Ants" or "Texas Two Step" I think I have posted the Texas Two Step more than once. Yes it is very effective. A couple of years ago I had a big argument with Kirby over Top Choice vs the Texas Two Step.

Now Talstar is Befenthrin which is a Pyrethroid. Pyrethroids have been known to become in-effective in the past. Rotate and use another Chemical Family for a period of time. Then you can go back to them. However be sure not to go from one Pyrethroid to another or you will still have a problem.

8. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Talstar can break down if left too long in a tank/can.

I am new here and trying to learn. I have heard good things about Top Choice and wanted to offer it. Have you tried both? I'd appreciate your opinion....Drew

9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Green Dreams

Our sandy soil in Florida has no chemical holding power. (CEC) Therefore Top Choice has given very mixed results. Top Choice has the same time frame as Hydramethylnon baits for control But cost about 8 times more.

10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

For whatever reason, I cannot explain, but Fipronil works great on fire ants. However, it does not work on all ants. I've been treating my own lawn with fipronil for 3.5 years now. One app per year. I've had no fire ants. But I do have another variety of ants on my landscape. My wife calls them sugar ants. Not sure what kind they are, but they're there.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper