1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Talstar question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by SouthernYankee, May 23, 2008.

1. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

I have a storage building that that has a gravel floor, the place is loaded with fire ants and every species of Texas spider. Would talstar be an effect way to control insects in my storage building?
  2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Talstar is labelled for just that application and does a nice job. It should give you good control fairly quick. Talstar is a broad spectrum insecticide, however it is not a cure all for all problems.
  3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Ric is correct. Talstar should easily will give you a quick knock down of the existing population that you see in the interior of the building.

But you must know that all ants, including fire ants, have to have a source of water available to them in order to survive; so it's very likely they're coming and going through the walls of your building somewhere, to get moisture from directly outside, beneath a slab, around a downspout, or the like. (....or you could have leaky interior plumbing sustaining them, but that's quite a stretch !!)

So, the longer-term answer is to do a perimeter application of some type of granular ant 'bait' such as Amdro, Maxforce, etc, etc, etc.
    (As much as I despise Lesco/Deere these days for their increasingly ignoramus personnel...they DO have a good stock of pest control products. Try them.)

The male worker ants will pick up the bait, carry it back to their colonies en masse, eat it, and regurgitate most of it at some point.
    Then...(get THIS !)...other ants, usually the females, that remain in the nests most of the time, will begin to eat the male's :cry: 'ant vomit' :cry:....and this sort of Jim Jones style of poisoning goes on and on and on......:dizzy:
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going to type a book, then don't forget the Queen eats the honey dew of the larva. The Male ant is only for mating and dies very shortly after. All Worker ants are sterile females. Fire Ants can be single Queen colony(monogyne) and very antagonistic or multi queen colony (polygyne) and not as aggressive.

But IF anyone is actually interested, Do a search here at LS I am tired of posting about Fire Ants 5 times each year.
  5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I was always under the impression the males did the 'lifting'.
    I'll read into that some more when I get time...thanks. :waving:
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

If you study all of nature you soon realize the male is the beauty of each species and the female is the strong. Somehow my ex-wife didn't accept that.:D