1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Talstar xtra for fire ants

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wildstarblazer, Sep 18, 2013.

1. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone use Talstar xtra for fire ant control? Does it kill as fast as it says and also have residual?

2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Never used the Talstar extra. I just spray generic Talstar and it works great. If that Verge stuff kills them faster than the Bifen then that is some bad to the bone stuff because dreching a mound with Bifen will kill them in minutes.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. austins35

austins35 LawnSite Member

yes I have used an continue to use Talstar XTRA it works fast an kills pretty much in yard bug I have even seen

I use it in the house as well works great I will have to look into the generic Talstar I didn't know there was a generic

4. Jallal

Jallal LawnSite Member
    from SoCal

There are other generic bifenthrin brands that may be better priced than Talstar, just keep it in mind. With that said, I've used bifenthrin with good results on fire ants but you need to keep in mind that the colony has multiple entrances & you may just force them to move if all you do is drench the mound. I always treated a 10' circle for fire ants to get their other entrances as well & I didn't really drench the mound, since disturbing them is usually counterproductive.

5. wildstarblazer

By generic you mean original or regular Talstar I assume. Do you use a watering can or do you have a chemlawn gun? All I have are back packs right now. I wonder if you blanket a lawn with talstar if that would kill all the ants rather than searching for every mound. I use Advion bait as well but some customers call and want overnight ant control for parties etc...

6. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

Not Talstar, just a Bifenthrin product. I think the one I have right now is Bifen IT or something like that. Yes I do have a Chemlawn gun [well tee jet] and I blanket spray. I also stop and build up pressure for a couple of seconds and hit/drench mounds.

7. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Use bifen Xts. 7oz p acre will destroy ants.

Use a chem lawn gun and make sure it gets watered in or run at 4 gal/k. Also add a surfactant to break surface tension.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. wildstarblazer

Thanks for replies!

9. WestGaPineStraw

WestGaPineStraw LawnSite Senior Member

Send me a pm
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. thelandmann

thelandmann LawnSite Member
    from usa

your better off applying talstar wall to wall on the customers property instead of mound application, the bifenthrin attaches to the top of the soil layer and will stay there for up to 4 months, if ants tunnel in from another area, once they break the soil surface they dont last long, so mound treatments on cover a small area....for mound treatment just use acephate or something like that

the Xtra has cypermethrin in it, what PCO companies use for roaches and all around insecticide, it is like putting the bifenthrin on steroids and gives a very quick kill