Talstar

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Tabby, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Tabby

Tabby LawnSite Member

Hi I'm new to this site (and the caring for a lawn), so forgive if I sound ignorant. We are having trouble with voles or moles? in our St. Augustine lawn. We live in Beaufort, SC (Lowcountry) where this is common. I'm told to spread Talstar to control the grubs that the voles feed upon. I'm apprehensive due to the toxicity it appears to have. The bag doesn't go much into detail on when best to apply it. Any tips, suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Talstar is not the best material for grubs, However Voles and moles feed on other insects beside grubs. Earthworms are a major part of their diet, and you dont want to kill the earthworms in you soil.

If you have voles, the best way Ive found is push the dirt aside to expose the hole, then drop in some bubble gum . This also works for skunks but not moles.

3. TSM

TSM LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA

thats interesting Cormier. Is that pre-chewed or chewed...must be pre-chewed right?
    Do those varmits eat it? Or what is it about the bubble gum that controls these guys? Is there a brand of gum you think works best?

4. James Cormier

from Ma

I am surprised you dont know that one

Unchewed , bubble yum ( real sugarery ) drop all over the lawn for skunks or in the hole for starnosed voles. Works great, they wont be back.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Tabby

There is a link at the top right of this page. It says SEARCH. Click on that link and you can search this forum for all posts on Moles or Voles.

I think you will find a lot differing opinions of how to control them.

6. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

No endorsement intended, but this site is very informative:
    www.moleman.com

7. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Cormier show me one...just one study by ANY University, College, Company that says bubble gum will work for anything other than rotting teeth.
    I've seen two studies within the last two months that debunk that wives-tale. One from UGA and one for Rutgers.
    But hey maybe two cans of lite beer, some shaving cream and a fat chic standing on one leg will control clover.

8. T.E.

T.E. LawnSite Senior Member

Ouch!! :rolleyes:

9. James Cormier

from Ma

well, I can tell you in my 19 years of telling people that ( for skunks) that Ive never had anyone say it didnt work, thats good enough for me, so theres a study by me

I can remember reading alot of university studies that didnt work in the real world as well

And my name is Jim, James, or Jimmy is okay,

10. NC Big Daddy

NC Big Daddy LawnSite Senior Member

Jim...As you already know our industry is full of snake oil salesmen. So I think it's best that we give well founded advice, backed up science and long term study.

Sorry about using you last name......that tends to irritate me too.