Tampa area anyone

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by kleankutslawn, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

That is what made me thinking of starting that thread. I have seen them butchered all over, more and more now that it is getting warmer.

2. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

In your opinion guys what do you consider right and wrong Crepe Myrtle care or trimming/pruning? What do you consider butchering?

3. amor4421

amor4421 LawnSite Member

I trimmed a crape myrtle once. My customer was in her 90's she knew more about landscaping than I at the time. She wouldn't let me trim any of her landscaping unless she was there. She had one landscaper butcher all of her shrubs, crape myrtle and everything else.

4. Landscape Poet

I attempt to follow University suggestions on almost everything. A few exceptions like cutting the dwarfs at 2.5 inches etc. But by doing so I always have back up if any thing should go wrong in someones landscape, you never now what joey homeowner is going to try to blame on you. If something should go wrong....you have this to back you up. Your case is pretty cut and dry.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ep399

5. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

On more than one occasion I have had people say "why doesn't my crape myrtle make those pretty blooms?". "Well ma'am, it's because that is a Ligustrum tree." "Oh, there's a difference? Can you make it bloom like a crape myrtle?" These are pruning shears not a magic wand. Shoot me now.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Landscape Poet

I will take the sweet smell of the ligustrum flowers when they are in bloom any day. I have had two many crapes that lose their flowers all over driveways and just make a mess for you to clean up

7. sweetz

We have both, ligustrium trees and crepe myrtles. The crepe myrtles are about 20 feet tall and the ligustrium tree is about 15 feet tall. We also have 3 big live oaks, about a 175 ft long row of 10 ft tall podocarpus bushes, about 50 azalea bushes, a pond, a butterfly garden, pointsettia bushes, annuals and perennials all over, plus a bunch of other plants. It's a lot of work, I typically take 2-4 tons of brush to the brush site every year from just our landscape. But, we LOVE it. It is relaxing, beautiful & you feel like you're in another area of the world when you're in the back yard or side yard. We're proud of it.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

That's why I don't understand people that insist on shaping them into mushrooms and umbrellas. I have a row of Ligs behind my pool cage and Jasmine on trellis'. I never get get tired of the sweet smells that hang all summer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. sweetz

We also have a small 6 ft hedge of Ligustrium & they do have a sweet smell.

10. Landscape Poet

I love the jasmine smell - can not get enough of it. I have cleared out my back fence to plant roughly 60 foot of it this spring. It might be a little over powering when it blooms - but I doubt it.

Got a gardenia tree right outside of my bedroom window - wife picks off a flower to put in her hair or on her desk at work every day when they are blooming.