Tampa area anyone

Discussion in 'Network: South' started by kleankutslawn, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Going to work on my own yard this weekend. If I can get off the patio that is.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. greenpoint

greenpoint LawnSite Member

Hey - just a heads up for everyone. I was stopped yesterday in the palm harbor area by a compliance inspector from the division of workers' compensation. For those caught working with 4 or more employees, and no WC ins, it is an immediate stop work order, and a fine of no less than $1000.

Here is the big kicker - the state considers sod replacement as construction work. When it comes to construction, you must have WC insurance, regardless of number of employees. So... if you are a solo op, and do sod replacement, you've gotta have it.

Just an FYI...

3. Patriot Services

Did he happen to provide you with exact statute number on that one? According to the DPBR wc is not required on any solo operator regardless of trade. What did he pull you over in, a faux cop car with state tags? I wouldn't stop for anything short of flashing lights.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. greenpoint

greenpoint LawnSite Member

Nope, he was on foot - he had proper ID, and I got his business card for reference. Basically stopped us working while mowing a property. He didn't provide statute numbers, but I did my own research after the fact, and found this:

http://www.myfloridacfo.com/wc/employer/coverage.html

So, if you're an LLC, you may exempt with proper documentation, if you're solo. But, if you have an employee, or you're not setup as an LLC, you've gotta have it for sod work.

5. Patriot Services

I have crews now so I am paying wc already. Just sounds weird, on foot hunting down work crews. But he probably doesn't bother the scrubs or unlicensed sprayers either.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. Patriot Services

Dry week. Finished early, sent the guys home for the weekend. Doing a 20k Floratam job next week. Worst part is over half needs to be wheelbarrowed to the back. Single 30" gate is the only way in.:usflag:

7. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

that's alot of sod and its gettin hot. I came home today, noticed I was sunburned, forgot the sunscreen...busy day. Some of my properties have nothing to cut so dry.

8. Patriot Services

Holy shizz! Kevin Lane returns. We thought you drove off a cliff. Long time no post? How's the baby?
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

LOL Nope, doing fine..... business has never been better, picked up alot of accounts this year. Baby is 2yrs old and walking and talking. Need to find a mini stihl blower for him, so he can blow off driveways while I line trim....ROFL. Haven't been on in awhile due to my account on here getting hacked, :nono:but alls good now. Time for an epson salt bath and a beer, long day again, friggin leaves and pollen are killin me...get er done! WOO HOO!:clapping::drinkup:

10. Patriot Services

I hear ya. Aleve, Shocktop and the hot tub are my version of happy hour these days. I grew substantially in the past 2 years. I now have 2 lawn crews and a full time pool tech. Heavy family involvement and I still get dirty. Good to hear things picked up. You had a real run of bad luck.
    Posted via Mobile Device