Tamping bedding sand.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Sunscaper, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone here tamp bedding sand? I have started to and then place a very thin layer for interlock and have good results. I think ICPI is bogus with the idea of 1" loose over compacted aggregate. Anyone agree or am I crazy?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

The bedding sand is to be loose because you tamp the pavers into the sand once they are laid, this creates the interlock.

This was discussed to death a few months back.

3. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

You are crazy! The whole idea of the loose sand is to create interlock and by tamping the sand you are eliminating this step. Plus you are adding some steps that are not necessary. And how are you adding a thin layer?

Chris

5. klkanders

klkanders LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

DW and CG are correct. Screed the sand over compacted base. Do you mean that you sweep a thin sand layer over top of pavers before tamping them?

6. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Yes you are crazy :) . Ever notice how much firmer the surface becomes after compacting over loose sand.....you're driving the pavers into the sand filling the spaces between the pavers.

7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

As stated above, the loose bedding sand begins the interlock process. You will find a sturdier walking surface by tamping, but will have a project that is more susceptible to "creeping" and "horizontal shifting".

8. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Team green did you tamp the sand on that project you posted a while ago?

9. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

LOL, I see we remember all the bad projects huh? That project was ripped up and redone at our expense. We have the best guarantee in our area and firmly honor it.

:nono: Good try though!

But to answer you question, I am not usually on a jobsite and when I showed up on that one "all hell broke loose, a guy lost his job, and I took a loss." Thanks for the reminder!

10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I love how some guys think they know more than ICPI. :hammerhead: OK, ICPI may not be right on about everything, but they I'm pretty sure they spend a few bucks a year in experimentation and scientific study of soils to come up with the proper way to install pavers. I'm pretty sure they might even have a few PHD's on staff..... hmmm.

Plus, you might actually want to try 1" of loose concrete sand, and you'll realize your way is ********.