1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tamping bedding sand.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Sunscaper, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Allure

Allure LawnSite Senior Member

finally a voice of reason. thanks Jodi. It would be nice to actually read an educational post instead of all the crap that is being posted here.
  2. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for some of your insights and opinions. Other than that I'm sorry I brought it up. Happy 2007 to all.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

SunScaper: Like DVSHardscaper mentioned, if your having settling issues, it is NOT your bedding sand.

What type of compactor are you using and how many lifts for the bedding aggegrate?

Also, Florida is pretty much pure sand, so how do you compact the native subbase?
  4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

you can get sand to almost 100% procter density. Also a sand sub base does not settle as much as a clay, or other expansive soils.
  5. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I love finding sand base.

We did a small driveway this year, in an area famous for it's sand and gravel. about 12" down we found clay, clay, clay :cry:

When you least expect it.... expect it.
  6. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

The compactor is a 20" Mikasa. I compact the aggregate base in one 4-5" lift. When it's been compacted it is like concrete so I truly have to rule out the aggregate settling. This sand failure I'm talking about happens during installation due to walking over the pavers to deliver more for the install process. It's not a big deal but it bothers me alot. Sometimes the plate will even work it out. Other times i have to pull up a 2x2" section and add more sand underneath. Any other ideas of what it could be? Thanks
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Aggregate with fines will often "feel" as hard as concrete even when not properly compacted.

I bet that if you compacted it in two lifts, you wouldn't have the settling issue.
  8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Dirty is correct. Just because the "crust" is hard does not mean the entire base is that hard and unless your Mikasa is an 8,000# machine you are not getting full compaction in one lift.

9. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you walking on the pavers you just laid with or without plywood. Dont know how other guys do it but I use plywood to walk on.....
    distributes my fat a.ss better.
  10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I suggest 1-1.5" lifts if you're using anything under 3000# compactor. The only way I would suggest 1 lift is on a drive with a static roller. That's just me.