Tamping mulch?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nick2765, Jul 3, 2013.

1. nick2765

nick2765 LawnSite Member

Do any of you guys tamp the mulch after its spread or do you just spread it and leave it?

2. trock

trock LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes we tamp it if its in an area that it may move. But for the most part we spread and rake.

3. Tunica

Tunica LawnSite Member

Never beyond the borders, why compact it anywhere else the customer prolly will think your ripping them off. When you say 3 inches of mulch they expect 3 inches not 3 inches compressed to two.

4. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I normally don't tell them how deep the mulch will be. I just let them know I'll paint up a new flowerbed for them. :)

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Never heard of it, nor would I do it.

6. Tunica

Tunica LawnSite Member

You have to be very clear here what you are doing. There so many scamming folks doing mulch. Here you have guys selling it by the bushel basket telling people that it will cover so much etc. Then when they are finished the 15 dollar per bushel runs up to 200 or 300 hundred where a yard could of done it for 60.

The always drive pickups with a huge mound of mulch in the back that never runs out! I wonder why...

7. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

This practice is used around boarders and is the correct way. It locks in the mulch and keeps it from moving.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Oh crap, I've been installing mulch the wrong way for over 30 years.

I better let my father know, he's been doing it wrong since 1962.

Better give a refund to all our customers as well. Since '62.

Actually, I have a question dKoester.

Why do you tamp around people staying in your home? If you're going to attempt to tell me I'm doing something wrong, please attempt to spell it correctly.

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Correct. It also makes a cut edge look better

10. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

For new installs no, but yearly enhancements, after the subcontractors blow the mulch on, we run a 24" plate compactor over the beds, and then run plastic rakes over it to fluff it up.