1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tanaka and lefty's

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by TClawn, Dec 14, 2004.

1. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

My brother and I hold our trimmer left handed. will the tanaka be uncomfortable when it is being held left handed. I.E. blowing hot exaust into my armpit (stihl).

btw, do you offer any streight shaft edgers? the curved shaft ones make it impossible for me to edge holding it left handed. I wish a manufacturer would come out with a curved shaft for leftie's (hint, hint).
  2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Sorry, no lefty specific tools. Point well taken though.

We do not offer a straight shaft edger at this time. Stay tuned though.

Mark Woodling
  3. rander

rander LawnSite Member

I've got a TBC220 trimmer that I use left-handed and I've never had any particular difficulty using it.

4. MisterLandscape

MisterLandscape LawnSite Member

At our dealership we have taken the engine and attached it 90 degrees from where it would normally be positioned so the exhaust does not blow into your arm-pit but down. Two stroke engines can be run in any position, even upside down so this is no problem provided the attachment method for the engine to the shaft is compatable with being rotated otherwise a small hole might have to be drilled in the shaft for the set screw to line-up with. Additionally the throttle might have to be positioned slightly at an angle becasue of the length of the cable but this varies with manufacturers and a slightly angled throttle trigger actually can be quite comfortable depending on your prefrences.

As far as edgers go Red Max makes a straight shaft edger that lefty's really seem to prefer.

Goodluck with the Tanaka. Tanaka is a personal favorite of mine and they make really great products. I have used them as a LCO and sold them in my dealership. Unfortuantly, we dropped the Tanaka line 2 years ago when we moved into out new dealerhip location because folks just didn't know about them and who they were and they were a tough sell to folks. However, they really are bullet-proof is you give them a chance and I'd reccomend them to anyone.

Seems like alot of folks in this industy just buy based on name famililarity rather than researching what they are really buying and looking at a company's history--this is very frustrating as a dealer becasue a lot of great products are out there but in our area there in only room for Grey, Orange and Red.

So, to anyone thinking Tanaka, if the dealer is good and reputable buy them becasue you won't regret it.
  5. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

just passin through here tonight.