Tanaka edger stalls, help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by naturescape, May 30, 2004.

1. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had a couple mechanics look at my Tanaka wb edger and they can't figure it out. It tends to stall out, whether cold or hot.

My other Tanaka did the same thing.

The fuel filter was supposedly replaced, air filters replaced, and the carb rebuilt. Anybody have any ideas on what may be wrong with it?

2. LittleOranges

LittleOranges LawnSite Member

Make sure the vent in the gas cap is working correctly. If i't not, the gas tank won't vent and the engine will stall. Might as well just replace the entire cap and rubber vent. Cheap. Relative to rebuilding the carb.

3. naturescape

I'll have to try that, I'll let you know if it works.

4. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

Check the wires from the kill switch too, a little wear on the insulation can cause a lot of agravation.

5. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

carbon in exhaust port and/or muffler?

6. naturescape

UPDATE -- The wires look good, replacing the gas cap seemed to help, although not a lot.

7. naturescape

Another update -- It seems adding oil to the idle governor helped a lot. It tells you to do this in the owner's manual, but I have never done it in the 8 years I've owned the machine.

The next step is switching to Amsoil, when the present fuel mix is gone. Amsoil really seemed to improve performance of my Echo trimmers.

8. naturescape

Seems the real problem was that the edger needed a new carb, they can't be rebuilt well.

New carb, and the edger runs like new again!

9. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

New carb and ready to go. :D They are tough units. Bet you get your money's worth back out of it.

So much cheaper than a new unit! That is if Mark is not fibbing :p and they are really coming back for sale.

10. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

we just received 3 samples and model # has been finalized. It's back!

-MW