1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tanaka? Good / Bad Experiences requested

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robert payer, Mar 8, 2003.

1. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

I did a limited search here on Tanaka power equipment. People seem pleased. Has any one had any bad experiences?

I am in need of some various 2-cycle equipment.
    Particularly double sided hedge clippers (24-30"). I love trimming shrubs and want to be sure that I am buying the best quality functional product on the market. My new Echo trimmers have been unreliable.
  2. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

I've used Tanaka hedge trimmers and my advice is if you enjoy trimming hedges stay away. It was a PITA to start from day one and the cut quality was poor at best. If you're looking for a new hedge trimmer Shindiawa and Muryama both make excelent ones with very high quality blades. Good luuck and happy shoping.

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I think LGF has Tanaka Edger I think? So it must be good enough.....
    Personally I have the Echo HCR1500 hedge clippers. I got it last fall and haven't been able to use it but I fire it up every couple weeks or so this winter and it always starts right up. The handle rotates. They make the same thing but without the rotating handle, and a bit cheaper, called the HC1500 (no "R"). Others with HC1500/HCR1500 units like them. I'll find out this year.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

We had some tanaka trimmers that we used for about 10 years! Great machines but parts got hard to get and we traded them off. We really did not have much trouble except for breaking gas caps. Hope this helps! I would not hesitate to buy tanaka again if they had parts availabilty.
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I bought a very slightly used set of hedge trimmers on ebay.
    They were like new and I love them. Start great, run great, cut great.
    No complaints from me.
  6. Clay

Clay LawnSite Member

I have used Tanaka products for years and the quality is good... But one thing I don't like about the Tanaka hedge trimmer is that they port the exhaust out the right side and the exhaust blows in my face whenI hold it up about head height and if I lean over for the side of a shrub.... Try to test it out in the shop to see if you hold it the same way... other than that Tanaka has always been good for me...

Good Luck, Clay
  7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Of ALL the wheeled edgers on the market, the Tanaka is by far the best. I have used numerous others, and they pale by comparisson. As far as the hedge trimmers, they are a step above echo, but the exhaust on them is a bear. I would suggest you trry to demo the Redmax trimmers. They're a bit heavier, but cut a helluva lot better. BTW, this comes from the guy w/ a tattoo of taz w/ hedge shears, so you know I love pruning!:cool:

8. Grass Master

Grass Master LawnSite Senior Member

I used Tanaka products in the past and they were very decent. The exhaust is a problem unless you don't mind sucking in fumes all day...The other problem was getting parts. Even my local dealer got fed up with all of the parts delays etc. and is no longer a Tanaka dealer.

Now...problems with Echo being unreliable?? I switched to all Echo product about 4 or 5 years ago and will never go back. They give me 2 to 3 years of excellent service plus I have two dealers that are very close by to where I do most of my work and they treat me very well. They always have time for me and Echo parts availability is second to none.

Problems that you are having with the Echo hedge trimmers may be caused by your crews or bad gas (MAJOR PROBLEM IN OHIO) or bad oil. I have found that if I spend a little extra and buy premium gas from Shell, Marathon, Speedway...plus use a good oil (I always use Echo or Stihl oil) I have NO problems with my two cycle stuff. (This coming from a guy who swore that he did not use bad gas in the past....my dealer proved me wrong!!)

Good luck!!

TJS Lawn Care
  9. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

We used a Tanaka weedeater for about 4 years commercially. It held up great. If they were available locally I would buy another one. Price was decent on it too, $450 I think it was.
  10. JohnyNCa

JohnyNCa LawnSite Member

You cant go wrong with a tanaka hedge trimmer. I have the pro series 30" and it works great. Had it for a over a year and use it regularly. Only problem ive had was when the string coil plastic holder broke, but no biggie, just took it off and replaced it. Other than that its a good buy!