Tanaka Product Comparison: TBC-250PF vs. the competition

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by Tanaka, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    Been getting a lot of requests for how Tanaka stacks up against the competition. This one is primarily for California users (model-wise), but it still illustrates two-stroke advantages over hybrids / 4-cycles.

Also, for 2005 we have introduced the TBC-245PF which weighs just 11.8 pounds with a solid steel drive shaft (24cc PureFire engine). Hope this helps -let me know if you have any questions.

-MW

TBC-250PF vs. Comp.jpg

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

can we have the tourque specs on all of those?

3. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

If I can get those I will pass them on. The info in the comparsion was taken from competitors Web sites / brochures except for weight which was taken from actual units.

-MW

4. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my last post dissapeared I was asking if the air filters have improved. I started with a tanaka 13 years ago and it only lasted one season the filter wouldnt stop the dirt from going in the carb all it had was a thin foam ring. I liked the feel of the trimmer but I like things to last and it didnt.

5. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Hi,
    Can you tell me which model you had?

-MW

6. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont rememember the model Im pretty sure it was a 24cc engine. possibly the tbc250 If that one was out in 91-92.

7. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Thanks for your continued interest. Not knowing exactly what model you had, it’s tough to offer any advice on the particular air cleaner system. However, there are no trimmer models currently in production that were produced that long ago.

We have, and still do in some cases use that style of air cleaner. Not necessarily for trimmers (I think all current trimmer models do NOT use that style), but for several products in the line-up - gas drills, etc. Most all of the intake side of our product is produced by Walbro, who is regarded as the highest quality manufacturer of fuel system components for these types of products, (some of our competitors use Zama brand carburetors and related components, but we feel they are inferior). The Walbro stuff is very good and of the hundreds of thousands we’ve sold of the style you mention – we have not had any campaign service issues.

It may have been the result of a warped part - either the air cleaner cap or the base itself. In my experience, when you have an unusual amount of dirt ingestion it’s usually the result of an air gap in those components. I have also seen instances where the air cleaner base will get cracked – allowing the dirt to pass through – but the crack is too insignificant to be noticed. Of course I assume you were using it conventionally and not in a unique application where the engine was located near ground level.

I hope it didn’t poison our opportunity to put another Tanaka trimmer in your fleet. We take a lot of pride in the product and back it up with the best support in the industry. If you’re willing to give it a shot, I will personally handle any technical problems that arise. You can reach me at 1-888-4TANAKA x.217, or HaslamR@TANAKA-ISM.com.

Thanks again for your continued interest!

Randy Haslam, VP Technical
    Tanaka

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have owned quite a few Tanaka string trimmers and hedge trimmers over the past 6 years. Both Pure fire engines and regular engines. I must say that I dont like the performance of the Pure Fires. I just bought 4 units this month, all NON Pure Fire.