Tanaka TLE 550 2 stroke edger Info search

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captbob, Aug 3, 2007.

1. captbob

captbob LawnSite Member

Down here in Central florida Gulf Coast we dont use Tanaka products but I hit a yard sale today and bought an unusual three wheel gas 2 stroke edger .
    It's looks hardly used and must have been kept inside no rust and great shape and runs good as well. I am basically sold on my stihl stick edgers
    and not really sure of the advantages if any of the Tanaka 3 wheeler other than saving my arms on the big commercial properties . I did a Goggle search and see that it is about 800.00 bucks new and is replaced by the THE 600 model . I guess what I am looking for is benifits gained by this wild looking tool.
    Tanks Capt Bob
    If I fish 3 days a week why do I still have to cut grass ?

2. Lam0nt

Lam0nt LawnSite Member

Unless you are doing significant amounts of edging, the 3-wheel is really not for you. We do a lot a of contract work for the DOT and they are invaluable to us. When you are doing a 4-mile sidewalk, a stick edger just wears you out. If you are a residential guy, you won't get a lot of use out of it. If you decide you don't need it, I'll buy it off of you. I live in St. Pete. Hope this helps.

3. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Back in the day, before there where stick edgers, this was Tanaka's answer to the Little Wonder edger. No belts, driven off the engine with a good size clutch for that size motor. It take alot to stop the blade :) Only problem you might find is the cover over the carb, it has a screw type thingie to hold the cover on. If you over tighten it, dust can get by, I would suggest taking some electric tape and rap it around the edge of the cover and any of the hose joints. If you have alot of sidewalk edging to do, you will not go back to your stick edgers :clapping: it's so easy to push, almost drives itself :walking:

ericg likes this.
  4. captbob

captbob LawnSite Member

Thanks for the comeback's I have found some uses for the Tanaka , One Commercial account has about a 1/2 of sidewalks and it's nice in that way
    and rehab properties with lots of overgrown curb grass the longer blade and endless power make those once and a while properties eaiser.But I have a little trouble coming off a long cut if I let the RPM'S drop to much she will die off but if I feather the throttle it stays running but she idles fine once you let er off the load . I took the carb all apart and saw no FM but blew everything out anyway put it back together and it still does it but at full throttle it's fine . Kinda a pain but I have adapted so I finish the property without have to restart.
    Da Capt

5. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

What did you pay for it? I found mine over 15 years ago in a garage sale in Fl. Runs like a champ! use it mostly on my property, looks bad but starts with 2nd pull.

6. captbob

captbob LawnSite Member

200.00 but it is in new condition it starts great as well but I guess . I will have to order a carb kit we have no part stocking Tanaka dealers in the area
    I would have to say mine has maybe 6-7 hours on it still had the original blade
    when I bought it , I thought about flipping it on E bay they bring good money but I am kinda starting to like it . I put about 7-8 degree bevel on it and I have about 400 feet of edging on my property and I kinda like the look. But I do not want to spoil my clients with it then they will expect that new bevel look everytime and as you well know time is important and there is nothing faster than the Stihl stick.

7. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

Tanaka has a funky set up on the throttle. Give the gear head a shot of grease when you get a chance, I believe you can remove the screw on the gear head and put a metric grease fitting in there. Those gear heads are not cheap but will last aloooong time if taken care of. If you are going to use it on a tilt, the vibration will beat the Sh*t out of the guard and the muffler. Good luck with it, it's a great little edger if you take care of it. :)

ericg likes this.
  8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

If you have the carb off find the numbers on the carb. You should be able to get a kit or even a carb from any dealer for the carbs. I dunno what they used on there...if its a Walbro it should be easy to find stuff for.

9. Breezmeister

Male, from South Jersey

The Carb is a HDA 51 :)

ericg likes this.
  10. captbob

captbob LawnSite Member

Yea, But ya know it would be nice just walk into a local dealer and say gimme one, I