Tanaka TLE-550 Feedback Needed!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tanaka, Jan 19, 2005.

1. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Please take a moment and let us know how we can improve the TLE-550 walk-behind edger. Your feedback is very important to us.

If you would like, you can email me directly at woodlingm@tanaka-ism. Thanks for your help.

Mark Woodling
  2. 128Steve

128Steve LawnSite Member

My TLE-550 has been nearly perfect. It is very hard to find filters as only dealers carry them and none are close. It does go through blades quickly. However, I can't figure out why they aren't more popular. I have had mine over 10 years; with far in excess of 700 hours without any engine work. I have changed the spark plug and filter twice. Nothing else. Just good synthetic two stroke oil. The throttle is sticky. Maybe I should oil it after a decade! The shaft is oiled every other year. Yea, it doesn't get much better than this. :D

Frankly, the problem is finding your products, not in the quality or price.
  3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

It's the best edger out there. My suggestion - start making them again! (or are you now?)

Throttle cable needs to be a bit smoother, that's about all I can suggest to improve it.

Tanaka needs to advertise this as an edger that's (OVERALL) faster and less fatiguing to use than a stick edger. I will grab my stick edger off the truck for a small single property, but where I have one large property or a few small ones together, I will use the 550.
  4. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

I would like to know where i could get a new/used one in western PA
  5. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

Whats up the the 550 edger? When will they start making them again? Will they be 2 or 4 cycle engines. You said in an early post of mine that we should know something in April.
  6. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

I would like to give you all the details, but I'll I can say for now is hold tight and start your TLE savings account today.

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I've never used the 550, but have heard good things about it. The one thing I liked from the looks of it, was that the blade is offset from the machine.

Most walk behind edgers (especially the cheaper ones), have the blade almost right in line with the rear wheel.
    This is fine if you're doing an established edge, but usually when you need the power of a w/b edger it's because you're doing an overgrown edge. Sometimes it's 4, 5, 6" overgrown.

So, the more offset the blade is from the machine/rear wheel the better. This way ALL the wheels stay on flat, level sidewalk rather then having one side riding up on bumpy unlevel overgrown turf. This makes the machine tilt and it's hard to keep a straight edge.

So, my only suggestion would be to offset that blade as much as you can.
  8. ilovethisgame

ilovethisgame LawnSite Member

Lose the two rear wheels. Check out the Byho edgers on www.eagleonegolf.com. I own one of these edgers and I have to say it can do anything a stick edger can ,but w/ a bigger power plant. This is the only edger of it's kind unfortunatly Byho is to small of a company to go national and getting parts can be a pain. I'd be thirlled to see a national company adopt this design. Thanks for asking for imput from the people who use these tools, more companys should follow your lead. -Dave