Tanaka TOB-550 Outboard

Discussion in 'Tanaka' started by designprof, Aug 16, 2005.

1. designprof

designprof LawnSite Member

I have a Tanaka TOB-550 outboard but the ignition coil is cracked and inoperative. My attempts to locate a replacement coil are in vain as Tanaka no longer supports this product. Dealers I have called no longer stock the part. I even tried to locate the part through Mitsubishi, the original fabricators...no luck.

The outboard appears to use a unique 2-coil ignition system...an exciter coil mounted in the flywheel and an external ignition coil going to the spark plug. As far as I can tell, there is no battery, points, trigger coil, or cdi module in this ignition system. An impulse-activated magneto? Help!

Can anyone:
    a. steer me to replacement parts for the model TOB-550, esp. the ignition coil
    b. provide me with a schematic of this ignition system
    c. tell me how to convert this product to a different ignition system.

I hate to toss a nice little motor like this in the trash.

Thanks,
    Jim

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

3. designprof

designprof LawnSite Member

Thanks to Mark for the helpful numbers...but no luck.
    The coil I need is no longer stocked by Tanaka.

I had a nice chat with Dalton in the Tech section of Tanaka and found out more regarding the cdi system used on this outboard. If it is going to be restored, I'll have to develop a make-shift cdi ignition to replace the old one. There are some after-market suppliers of cdi modules for dirt bikes that I am looking at. If I am successful at this, I'll post my solution. Dalton tells me there are still quite a few of these little outboards lying around out there!

In the meantime, if anyone else has any suggestions or hints, please let me know.

Jim

4. jmac099

jmac099 LawnSite Member

i am interested in any tanaka tob outboard boat motor - any condition
    please call 830-249-0838 thanks james

5. jmac099

jmac099 LawnSite Member

i have a tanaka tob550 the lower gears are rusted frozen but the motor does run. i would be interested in anyone having the lower parts for sale. or selling the motor. feel free to email me at kelly001@flash.net.

6. jmac099

jmac099 LawnSite Member

jim would you sell it for parts , i have one the engine runs fine but the prop and gears are frozen and the throttle handle is broken. i can sell you mine for parts to yours or i would be interested in buying yours. email me at kelly001@flash.net.

7. jmac099

jmac099 LawnSite Member

i have a tanaka tob 550 parts motor if you want it. 830-249-0838 james