1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tanaka trimmer question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnTamer, Jan 29, 2008.

1. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Howdy all,

I had made up my little noggin to buy me a Stihl FS100RX trimmer next month. I spent today at the local Green Industry show. I spent quite a bit of time at the Tanaka booth, I was pretty impressed with the gear. The local dealer has a TBC260PF for $289. I am torn, 1.3hp, well balanced and 2cycle simplicity.

Does anyone have any experience with the TBC260PF?

What about Tanaka trimmers in general?

Thanks for any useful input.:waving:
  2. yungman

yungman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Calif.

Believe it or not, One of the dealer near me had the FS100 on sale for $249 or $259 two weeks ago for one weekend!!!! .....I am not trying to make you feel bad, my point is look harder, there might be sale somewhere.

Back to the question, I personally have no experience with Tanaka, I do read a lot a lot of threads, I seldom hear anything bad about Tanaka.( If you have saw some of my past posting, you will know I don't care for Tanaka mainly because of their in-your-face marketing, not because of their product.). Most of the people raving about the 340, the bigger trimmer. I have a Shindaiwa C4 blower which have the similar hybrid 4 cycle engine, I am not impress with it. Bottom line, I would not buy anymore hybrid stuff. I go for 2 Cycle or Honda type of 4 cycle with separate oil.

Ever try Redmax? Or Echo SRM260? Personally I'll keep calling around to find out who have promotion and get the best deal of one of these brands.

Good luck, keep us posted.:usflag:
  3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I have tried Echo,Stihl and Redmaxbut until my dealer let me demo a TanakaTBC2501 which is just under the 260PF I went back and bought 4 Tanaka and love them the head is awesome and you never i mean never get jams and they have plenty of power as far as $$ that one that you got is a great price Now they have 2 Year warranty
  4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Do you remember which Echo, Stihl and Redmax models you have used?

Anyone else with Tanaka trimmer experience?
  5. NJT

NJT LawnSite Member

I too would like some input regarding Tanaka, specifically their 71" shaft for taller people. Im sick of having my back kill me...6'5".
  6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

I upgraded my old trimmer with 2 new Tanaka TCB245 & 250 trimmers and haven't regretted it at all. They both have solid steel shaft and are light weight and have plenty of power and are the easiest starting small equipment I currently own.