Lawn Care Forum banner

Tanaka vs. 4-stroke walk behind edgers...

3K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  128Steve 
#1 ·
I was looking at Tanaka's edger today at my dealer. It looks like a REAL quality machine.

I'm wanting to buy a WB edger. I'd go for the Tanaka, but am a bit concerned about engine longevity because it's a 2-stroke.

I can get a McLane, etc WB with a 4 or 5 HP Honda 4-stroke for roughly the same price.

I don't doubt the Tanaka has enough power, but If the 4-stroke will last longer I'd rather purchase that.

What do you guys think?

#5 ·
Thanks for the opinions so far.

I do have 2 stick edgers, a PE-200(useless, zero power, only used as a backup) and a PE-311 which has a lot more power, but it's still slowed by thick overgrowth. Since I edge every single customer I want something to speed up the process with less strain on my arms:)

#8 ·
Very rarely. I usually never am on a mowing crew. I bought stick edgers for my guys as they are easier to get on/off a trailer, but IMHO they do NOT do the job nearly as well as a w/b edger. I have used little wonder, power trim, McLean, scag, tanaka & redmax straight shaft stick edgers and by far, the tanaka gives the best edge & will do the "initial" overgrown edges better than any bar none.

#9 ·
Well that settles it for me, thanks.

Now I just need to get the courage to part with $779 + tax:)

#10 ·
tanaka is the BEST edger period. Above ALL stick edgers as well as all other w/b edgers (mclean, power trim, little wonder, scag, et al) The shaft drive cannot be beat!
Couldn't have said it better myself! All I'd add is that I also run an Echo trimmer with an Edgit. Between these two tools, any edging situation is covered perfectly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.