1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tanaka vs. 4-stroke walk behind edgers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fiveoboy01, May 7, 2007.

1. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I was looking at Tanaka's edger today at my dealer. It looks like a REAL quality machine.

I'm wanting to buy a WB edger. I'd go for the Tanaka, but am a bit concerned about engine longevity because it's a 2-stroke.

I can get a McLane, etc WB with a 4 or 5 HP Honda 4-stroke for roughly the same price.

I don't doubt the Tanaka has enough power, but If the 4-stroke will last longer I'd rather purchase that.

What do you guys think?
  2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I would go with the tanaka. Belts are a hassle in my opinion. I would get a stick edger before messing with a walkbehind that has belts.
  3. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i have seen tanaka edgers beat to death but the engine still going strong. the engine is the most durable part of the unit-sort of like the suzuki toro.
  4. Mark in MD

Mark in MD LawnSite Senior Member

I've had my Little Wonder edger for 10-12 years. It has a Honda engine. As far as I can tell, it'll run forever, as long as I watch the oil. I can't comment on Tanaka, I've never had one.
  5. fiveoboy01

Thanks for the opinions so far.

I do have 2 stick edgers, a PE-200(useless, zero power, only used as a backup) and a PE-311 which has a lot more power, but it's still slowed by thick overgrowth. Since I edge every single customer I want something to speed up the process with less strain on my arms:)
  6. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

tanaka is the BEST edger period. Above ALL stick edgers as well as all other w/b edgers (mclean, power trim, little wonder, scag, et al) The shaft drive cannot be beat!
  7. fiveoboy01

Do you use one? Just curious.
  8. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Very rarely. I usually never am on a mowing crew. I bought stick edgers for my guys as they are easier to get on/off a trailer, but IMHO they do NOT do the job nearly as well as a w/b edger. I have used little wonder, power trim, McLean, scag, tanaka & redmax straight shaft stick edgers and by far, the tanaka gives the best edge & will do the "initial" overgrown edges better than any bar none.
  9. fiveoboy01

Well that settles it for me, thanks.

Now I just need to get the courage to part with $779 + tax:)
  10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

Couldn't have said it better myself! All I'd add is that I also run an Echo trimmer with an Edgit. Between these two tools, any edging situation is covered perfectly.