Tanaka vs. Stihl Timmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker/redmax, Nov 22, 2005.

?

What trimmer?

1. Tanaka TBC-420PF

12 vote(s)
    46.2%
  2. Stihl FS 250

14 vote(s)
    53.8%
  1. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I am considering getting another string trimmer since Redmax stoped making their single handel 33cc model.:cry: I have the BCZ3000S and I do think that it is an excellent trimmer. However, I would still like more power!! The two models that I am looking at are the Stihl FS 250 and the Tanaka TBC-420PF. I would like to hear from people who use these trimmers daily or who have used both.:help: Thanks!!:waving:

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Stihl All The Way!!!

3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I'm just wondering if you have used both brands to make this comparison?

4. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We don't have any fs250's but we run all Stihl equipment. There are other good products out there like the Redmax of Which we have only one, but the dealer support on Stihl is much better in my opinion and their products perform well.

5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

the only thing I don't like about the stihl, is that it has more moving parts than the tanaka. overall, I would rate the hybrid 2 cycles about a 5 of 10. they are ok, and have alot of punch, but the throttle range is comprimised, and there are adjustments every 125 hours. the tanaka should be pretty much maintenance free.

if I were you, I would see if mark woodling could fix you up with a demo of the tanaka. maybe you could field test it for him.

6. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

How are there more moving parts?
    They're both 2 cycle pieces of equipment.

7. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I was under the impression that the fs250 was a 4-mix. those hybrids have more moving parts than the straight 2 cycles.

I have never taken a 4-mix apart, so I am going what I have been told, and diagrams I have seen on the computor.

8. dvmcmrhp52

from Pa.

The fs250 is still a 2 cycle.

9. walker/redmax

walker/redmax LawnSite Senior Member

I would also like to hear from some people who have used Tanaka.

10. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive