tandem axel trailer ?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jason r., Mar 29, 2003.

1. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

I remember seeing a pic a member posted of their tandem axel open landscape trailer. It had smaller wheels and they were under the deck of the trailer instead of being on the sides. It looked like you could have a pretty big trailer while still keeping the overall width down. I've never seen one in my area until last week. They have one at a trailer dealership right here in town.

My ? is, Does anyone have experience with these types of trailers and how good do they handle bumps with the smaller wheels? Please post a pic if you have one. I really need a bigger trailer but, I need to keep the width of it to a minimum. Something like this looks like it might solve my problem but am a little skeptical of the smaller wheels handling daily abuse

2. jason r.

3. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

In my neck of the woods, we call them 4 place snowmachine trailers. I had a single axle one for my snowmachine and they do bounce alot more noticeably than a standard trailer. I have a 7'- 16' tandem axle and I would bet it is just as wide as a trailer with the wheels under it.
    Pros--The trailer would be lighter and the tires are underneath so you might get more deck space.
    Cons--The trailer is not built as heavy as a regular landscape trailer. You have no sides, unless you put them on.

I have owned both and would choose my 16'er any time. I have hauled over 7000# on mine. You can't do that with a lighter trailer.

Just my $.02
  4. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have 6.5 x16 tandem with 15"s.I have an old camper with those short fat ones,have boat with small skinnies.--you could stack the boat and camper on tandem and go 90 in and out of traffic.The tandem pulls and handles fantastic with full size tires--leave short faties on campers.:)
  5. jason r.

Yeah, that's the one. Thanks LGF. Just sent Dooghiegh an email about it.

The one I seen looked like it but I didn't get a chance to stop and ask ?'s. Will stop by and get some info on it Monday. I'll also try to post a pic too, so I can get your opinions.
  6. jason r.

well, I stopped by the trailer place to check out the trailer up close. Didn't even take pics. It's not the one for me. Ramp gate to short, flimsy metal deck, and it was way to big for what I'd need it for. It was almost 2k too!
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

That has to be the ugliest trailer I've ever seen.
  8. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Why is it ugly?

It's mine.

Just curious why you would say such a thing. I'm really curious.

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Why the small wheels though? I made this one myself, and put everything on it that I wanted. Cost me about 2K to build. :cool: