Tandem axle worth the extra $$ ??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DoetschOutdoor, May 21, 2008.

1. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Im going to be getting a new 6x12 v nose here in the next month and was wondering if paying the extra $600 or so was worth it over getting just the single axle? My dad and friends have told me how smooth the tandem axle pulls but that is on heavy boats and not a lawn trailer. Is it worth it on this size trailer?
  2. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a single axle open trailer. I will own a tandem axle next time. Just for the ease in weight per tire ratio. Not to mention you'll not have to worry about a flat with tandem axle.
  3. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

what are you hauling.........without knowing, yes its worth it anyway, tow a lot better...more stable, weight distribution, tire goes down you still ahve one there to hold etc etc
  4. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

On the other hand, dual axle trailers can go through tires pretty quickly. On single axle trailers, tires last many, many years. Considering how expensive tires are getting (just replaced 4 tires on one of my trailers last year), I would really think about a single axle.
  5. olde_blue

olde_blue LawnSite Senior Member

Also, think about electric brakes. They are far cheaper for a single axle, and I bet that a single axle will stop better than a tandem ([if the brakes all apply equally, the axle with the least amount of weight--they will be unequal--will lock up first, skid, and reduce your stopping power).

Not only do tandems wear out tires sooner; you also need four of them! Some leaf-sprung tandems cannot tow with a flat. A torsion axle tandem should, but you may have to remove the flat tire, so why not just carry and put on a spare?

The real question: do you need the weight capacity of another axle? Also, can your tow vehicle handle a fully loaded tandem axle?
  6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

The trailer would only be hauling a 48 ztr, 36 wb and then the regular handhelds. Right now I have a single axle 6x12 enclosed and my truck pulls it fine and stops fine even though the trailer does not have brakes. Thats why I was really wondering if I need the 2nd axle or if I should just spend that money towards outfitting this one like I wish my present one was...The tandem trailer would have brakes on one axle. This size trailer is perfect for a small ztr and wb so I do not want to go up to the 7x14 just yet.
  7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

no brainer get the extra axle
  8. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I ditto that.
  9. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

If you have one of these you will still have control of the trailer & can get home or to the side of the road. yah get a single axle lots of stupid people around here

10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

For such a small trailer and light load the extra axle is not worth it. Kind of like getting a dually pickup when you never haul anything heavy. If you had an usually heavy load for that size trailer, like you used it to haul landscaping block then the tandem axle would make sense.