1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tandem axles a waste?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by jhawk71, Mar 30, 2005.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I am going to be buying a trailer this weekend. I'm looking at a 6' x 12'. I can either get in with single or tandem axles. On both trailers the axles are 3,500 lb. I was thinking of just going with a single axle to save money, since I won't be putting very heavy loads on it. But with a tandem axle trailer isn't it easier to back up? What would you guys do? Any help appreciated!!
  2. Fishin LCO

Fishin LCO LawnSite Member
    from NC

I would go with the tandem depending on how much more it is. It should not be that much more. Always better to have more capacity than you think you need. You will be suprised on how much stuff you end putting on the trailer. Especially if you put mulch or stone in there. I am not sure about it being any easier to back up. CC
  3. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

With a tandem axle you can still limp home if you get a flat tire. which is a big plus
  4. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the tandem, just for the flat tire issue....I need to buy a spare and carry a big jack incase I get a flat....I shoould have bought a tandem!!!
  5. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

The tandem would be $90 more with used tires. $190 with new tires. I'm now thinking its worth it.
  6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

go tandam

About the backing up thing...I believe its true that tandom axles are easier to back up because they are less sensative to steering and don't move as much. Theororetically the bigger the trailer, the easier the backing up.

The flat tire thing is very true to.
  7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Maybe I'm wrong, but are you thinking that both a single and tandem axle trailer will only haul 3500 lbs because the axles are rated at 3500 pounds?

A tandem with 3500 pound axles can haul a maximum of 7000 pounds, not to mention a tandem has brakes on at least one axle where a single axle trailer normally will have no brakes.
  8. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

No I meant each individual axle was rated for 3,500lbs. Is it required for a tandem trailer to have a brake on at least one axle. I forgot to ask when I called the dealer if either of the trailers had brakes.
  9. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Because of the weight capacity of a tandem it is required.
    Anything over 3000 lb. gross requires brakes.
  10. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6x12 single axle w/brakes and its fine for mowing and up to 3 yards or so of mulch but I can only get in 1 yard of gravel or sand. For only $90 more I would definatly go with the tandem.