Tandum trailer-connecting to truck

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by kmeforou, Jan 27, 2004.

1. kmeforou

kmeforou LawnSite Member

I have had a single axil trailor for about three years and I have been thinking about getting a tandum. My problem is that I have trouble lining my truck up with the hitch. With a single axil, I would have no trouble moving the trailer to meet the hitch when unloaded. However a tandum is a different story. I would appreciate any response on how you are able to line up your rig without the help of another person. The way I do things now, I would imagine it would take me at least fifteen to twenty minutes to get connected. Any response you can give me that is beneficial will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  2. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

look up a thread called "trailer hitch" lots of good pointers there
  3. LawnPerfect

LawnPerfect LawnSite Senior Member

4. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Go to www.ballard-inc.com They have an E-Z Hitch. It fits on your truck's hitch. Has a V shaped plate that you back up to your trailer. As you do that it centers the trailer over the ball. I use it for my heavier trailers, WORKS GREAT!

5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto on the practice! It's all in just depth perception and seeing where your trailer lines up with the side of your truck. Trust me, I never thought I'd get it either. I would back up to my single axle somewhat close then just wrestle it around, I thought I was gonna die the first few times I was in and out of the truck repositioning it. Thank god nobody was watching! Now I can drop my trailer just about anywhere, leave, come back, and be totally hooked up and back in the truck in about a minute. Oh, my trailer is a 8.5' x 20' with 2 dixons, a 33" wb, 21", and a bunch of other stuff from day to day, so NO, i'm not moving it around to get it on the ball.

I hope this boosts your confidence a little!
  6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

it's not that hard, you'll get used to it. Just look in your mirrors and center the truck between the trailer and you'll be pretty close. Some days I hookup 5+ times a day and 75% of the time i'm dead on in the first shot.
  7. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

It just takes practice knowing where the truck lines up with the trailer. If you have problems take a dowel rod (or rebar or a stick) and paint the end red (or any bright color) attach it to the center of the front end of the trailer and then make a mark on the top of your tailgate. Back up and line them up.
  8. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

With your trailer hitched look in your mirrors and see where your rear quarters are in relation to your front of trailer. Have a friend place a piece of red tape on the trailer, while you are looking in the mirrors, that match the outline of your rear quarters in relation to the trailer.(both sides) Leave trailer reciever just high enough so that it scrapes the ball. Line up rear of truck with tape marks and listen for the reciever to contact ball.
  9. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

10. kmeforou

kmeforou LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the good advice.