1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tangible tax?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mrbray101, Mar 22, 2006.

1. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

Hi, this is my first year filing my own taxes being self employed. I had not heard about a tangible tax before but I have been told that I will be taxed on all of the equipment I own. Is this a new thing or just a statewide thing (FL)? So if I am thinking correctly, the equipment I have already purchased and paid taxes on will be taxed again. Then again next year and so on? That does not seem right but that is how I interpretted it. Thanks for any input.

2. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

IT IS JUST LIKE PERSONAL PROPERTY Tax . Here in Texas you can give them fair market value of your equipment .. my taxes on my mowers and trailer was $320.05 for 2005 Have got the form filled out for 2006 but have not turned it in yet, but on the plus side it is a businees deduction that you can take Good luck and have fun . Twj

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Its for leased equipment. Some finance options on equipment are a 3 year lease with a $1 buyout at the end of the lease. So you have to pay the tax on it. And you pay tax on the "fair market" value decided by some government moron. I did that with a great dane once, and the final year of the lease their value of the mower was $4800. I got $600 for it when I sold it a few months later. Its not that expensive of a tax, its just that its another thing to get your money.

4. antonelawncare

antonelawncare LawnSite Member

One of my pet peeves, I say alot of cuss words every year when I write out the check for this stupid (should be illegal) tax. I wish all the penny pinching customers understood how much it costs to be in business legitimately. Everybody has a hand in your pocket.