Tank Mixes--well water or city water, does it make a difference?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by walker-talker, Apr 28, 2006.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have been thinking of adding a well soon. Is there anything wrong with running well water through my 200 gallon space saver? I can't think of any side effects, but thought I would ask.

Matt

2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i would think well water would be better. it doesn't have any additives in it.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have used well water for over 20 yrs with no problems!

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Well water may have too many minerals , use city water

5. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

i would think well water has more iron which would be good, not sure if the other minerals would be good though.

6 of one half a dozen of the other

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It all depends on the individual water. My city water has minimal additives. One company I worked for ended up installing a fairly serious filter system for their well water. It was hard water, and very acidic. Played he** with the fert mix.
    have the water tested. Doesn't cost that much, and that will tell you if anything is completely out of whack.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

That sounds like pretty good advice. Actually I hadn't even considered the conquences of the water being placed on the lawn. My main concern was if the well water could harm my pump in anyway?

Thanks
    Matt

8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Unless your water is really messed up, it should be fine. I've drawn out of lakes and streams to fill spray tanks and that worked ok.

9. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

The pH of the water will cause problems with some products.
    The others mention would not, with maybe an exception for minerial build up on smaller nozzles

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

water quality can mean the difference between success or failure of your aplications. now tell me i'm wrong SOMM