Tank mixes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by wiseguyslawn, Feb 17, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

All companies in my area seem to apply their weed control, and have someone follow with a spreader for a feeding fert. Wondering if it would be more cost effective and results would be better if a liquid fert was mixed in such as green flo. I know labor would be saved. Any thoughts thanx again.
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with you. I do two rounds mixing liquid fertilizer with weed control. Three rounds dry. However, Liquid fertilizers are sometimes very expensive. So cost wise it may be more effective to put your fertilizer down separately. Takes about 10 minutes per lawn in labor.
  3. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind that once you get a lawn clean, it will only require spot weed control.
  4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Many people, at least now-a-days don't have tanks large enough to effectively use liquid fertilizers. Usually they require spray volumes of 3 to 4 gallons per 1,000, and someone working with a 100 or 200 gallon tank can't get very many done without going back to the shop for a refill. A broadleaf weed mix may be applied at 1 to 1.5 gallons per K.
    And yes, good slow release ferts are best bought in granular form.
  5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I came to the same conclusion a while back. Now I am almost completely liquid - just dissolving my fertilizer into the tank...
  6. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

never thought about the high water volumes it takes for liquid ferts. Think I'll stick to granular for now and just do my weed control through liquid.

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I dont know about every one Else but we only use 1.5 gal per th fert/weed control/pre all at the same time with a hose and 20 gal a arce on a ride on
    Charles Cue