Tank mixing - Perma Green?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ChicagoLawn, Apr 2, 2004.

1. ChicagoLawn

ChicagoLawn LawnSite Member

Just wondering how you experienced PermaGreen users have refilled their spray tanks?

Do you add the water then herbicide, then sticker?

Today I finished calibrating my PG - it took a while, I feel comfortable now that I have "put myself through the paces."

How do you feel about the agitation? I assume that when I close the spray valves, then turn on the pump, this creates the "circulation" that we need to thoroughly mix water,product and sticker?

How long do you wait after mixing new tank(while agitating) till you treat the lawn?

What is your opinion on the use of Momentum now with temps reaching the 50's? I picked up a 16 acre site (to be treated tomorrow- reason for the PG) and would like to spot spray or possibly blanket any/all broadleaf?

In high speed, can you spot spray in time? I mean by the time you see the weed can you/have you "pulled the trigger" in time?

I know, I know, "e-z on the questions".................... just typing as I contemplate tomorrow.

Thanks in advance!

ChicagoLawn

2. turfsurfer

turfsurfer LawnSite Senior Member

How about giving us all your opinion after using the unit tomorrow. Seems like I'm not the only one on the fence of buying either a PG or z-spray soon. Why did you end up choosing the PG? Sorry this is off topic, just curious.

3. ChicagoLawn

I went the PG route because of local service/parts(Lesco) and ease of operation. After a few days of calibrating and general experimentation, the PG is very easy to use and I can now envision its use even on my 4K lawns(originally didnt think usefull for small turf areas).

Also I needed a SIMPLE hitch mounted carrier, just didnt like the idea of a trailer or the contraption that Z-spray is selling for transport. I am not knocking the Z-spray unit, I have NEVER used one. I think the PermaGreen is the right choice for my operation today.

ChicagoLawn

4. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

As for the mixing issue, I have always mixed in a nurse tank and then added to the PG tank. Even when using the ultra which has the agitation system, I still rely on being pre mixed before going into the tank. Many guys try and spray with the unit in the top gear, 6th, I prefer the 5th simply becuase it gives you time to see the areas better than to make a rapid response to seeing a weed, especially those weeds which are low growing and very hard to notice(ground Ivy, Chickweed, black medic, etc). Not sure what weather you're expecting tomorrow but we are getting cooler for the next few days, so plant activity will definitely get stunted. I would suggest an ester formulation like Cool Power over Momentum, but that is just my preference. Momentum I've always nicknamed Slow-mentum for obvious reasons.

5. ChicagoLawn

All 15 acres complete! Dimension 19-0-6, Momentum, Sticker - High today of 52 degrees........

6:00am. - 2:30pm. (8.5 hours - 1 man/myself)

Includes roughly 10-12 tank refills (Momentum and sticker) - I know, should of used an ester formulation herbicide....DAMMM!

I also realize you need to act on the pre-emergent control, so I could have waited but we need to be productive and complete our round 1's. I'm just making excuses to myself for not using the ester......bear with me!

The PG worked quite well! This was the first site that I used it on. I'm actually glad that I didnt mix the whole 100gal. spray tank at the "concentrated mix" rate per PG calibration/standards. I had 50 gal. of fresh water left.

My right forefinger is sore...... its not what your thinking, or is it?

The constasnt on/off of the fert. lever and the left handed spot spray as I see em'..................... all day.

The lesco spreader blocked up a little in the center hole about half way through, one of those "yellow gold nuggets" someone left in the bag? You know what I'm talking about.......... Spaced the laps a little closer to compensate for the poor spread pattern until the fert was low enough in the hopper that I could get to the 3 holes. Problem solved!

I guess the one problem I can see with the PG is the lack of "detailed weed control". You just cant get into the corners the way you can with the old hose. Larger properties not a huge concern, but good ole Mrs. Jones could be a problem- especially in high speed.

Bottom line is the PG made money today!

It is a winner in my book.

ChicagoLawn

6. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

When night time lows around here dip below forty or so it's an even slower kill for momentum, if you kill it at all. It's almost a waste of time and money spraying this early. It's gonna be cold monday too. ( low temps are what you look at ) Most of the time you'll just get the leaves of the weed to burn off, and i seen them still go to seed. I know it sucks to come back late april or early may to squirt weeds, but i would apply low nitrogen in the early spring and be right back first of may with weed control and second round of fert. I have a z-spray and have no problem spot spraying while applying fert, although it's very hard to see some weeds until your right on top of them. I never have a problem with service on z-spray. Any time i need a part or tips and screens they over night them to me or ship quickly enough. I need the use of a trailer anyways to haul all the fert bags. 3/4 ton truck is full with 200 gallon tank, push spreader and couple bags. Igo through twenty some bags a day and use the z every where i go. 15 acre in one day, fert and squirt?? one machine and one man?? You are the man, kudo's to you.

7. ChicagoLawn

Thanks for the vote of confidence but I cant see doing this type of acreage every day?

It is good money, but I would soon as find a licensed operator that would come aboard to take over if I found myself with many large L/C sites.

The challenge I faced with the Momentum treatment this early is the customer requested spot/broadleaf weed control with first application( I usually begin with my second round also)? Also asked if 4/3/04 would be ok for first treatment...... I said of course! You know what I mean?

I should of posted this earlier? All said and done it was a fine experience today on the PG.

ChicagoLawn

8. get rich

get rich LawnSite Member

Hey, the customer is the boss. It's just when may rolls around and there are still weeds there. You can explain how mother nature played april fools on you and lowered the temps( tonights low 25, what the suck) I take care of a 6 acre place five apps and it takes me a couple days for fert and squirt on the z-spray. Not because i don't husstle, because thats alot of turf to cover looking for weeds and other problems. I figure take my time and inspect the place head to toe while i'm there. Plus it takes couple hours alone to blow product off the sidewalks and drives. Sounds great though, good luck with the rest of your stops and may the temperatures rise for both you and i. DAYS AND NIGHTS

9. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

How many times did you run out of gas????

10. ChicagoLawn

Ran out of gas only ONCE(5 minute walk back to the truck)......... then topped off the fuel with every fertilizer/spray refill.

We need to find a way to re-fill without possibility of spillage. It seems that there is more risk of fuel spilling either off of machine from overfilling or gas just jetting out from gas can past tank inlet than the spray tank?