Tank spraying of de icing agents???

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Greenman2ooo, Oct 6, 2000.

1. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

This is directed at anyone, but I saw where NY
    Snow Pros uses a liquid magic tank on his truck. I'm unfamiliar with liquid de icing agents.

How much would the magic cost and what type of rates is it used at? How is it used? Can liquid magic be used as a lone de icing agent (Would I need to spread granular as well?) How much would a liquid applicator cost? Where might I view one on the web?

Thanks in advance.

2. JCurtis

JCurtis LawnSite Senior Member

call John Parker at Taconic Maintenance ( NYSnowpros)

914-485-4200

HE IS THE MAN WHEN IT COMES TO MAGIC O

THE SECRET TO lQUID APPS IS ROAD TEMP AND TIMING

3. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Raod temp, air temp, and humidity are all huge factors with any liquid deicer/anti icer.
    In fcat one story is as related as so. A consultant was called in to discuss liquid applications to a DOT.Now this man knows more about deicers than just about anyone.
    Well he takes them to an inetrsection and has the truck lay down a nice coating of liquid deicer. I dont remember what type, I believe cal chloride.I also think it was a warmer humid day. Well the liquid deicer started pulling moisture from the humid air, and turned the whole intersection into a gooye slimy mess, and caused an accident. they has the sand the snot out the roadway to pick up the liquid. So it just shows that even an expert can really mess up with liquid deicers. Stay with the granular.
    The main problem with them is education and know when to do what. What magic does, is coat the granular salt. You apply the salt with a spreader and no problems. Very easy to switch to, and even easir to use. The tank John has is to spray bulk storage of salt.
    Call John or myself, we will be happy to extole magics virtues.
    John Allin, why arent you using this yet? I cant belive with all the time spent with J Parker he hyasnt converted you yet. Its like a religion with him.
    Everyone chant in unison.
    Magic
    Magic
    Magic...................

4. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

I may have the use for bulk salt, but no place to store, treat, etc. So I'm likely going to be limited to bag products. I see bagged magic is 3x as much as regular salt, so it would have to be better than mag which, from what I understand, is the same ingredient that magic deposits on salt (magnesium) so I don't know what to think, here.

5. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

Magic is 50% mag chloride and 50% distilled solids. The distilled solids work great as a deicer, but the mag is a better carrier for the distilled solids.
    What is great about it, is that you can coat salt with it.You cannot coat salt with mag, or calicium, it will activate the salt on the spot, and then run out of your pile. That is why they use mag and cal as prewet agents on salt spreaders.
    Also the magic coated salt will work down to -10 degrees and work much longer than straight salt, with longer residual effects and no refreeze.
    The bagged produst is more expensive than salt, but mush less than calcium in bagged form. Nad alot better for plants, concrete and people. You can eat magic salt and nothing will happen. Ask anyone from the BBQ I ate some. Cant do that with cal chloride.
    Dino

6. Alan

Alan Member

Sure you can,, once!

Well,, form my somewhat limited testing last winter, I can say that Magic salt definately works better, faster and colder than straight salt.

By the way, unless you are really tight for room, you can come up with bulk salt storage for not much money. I've got about $500 invested in a bin that will hold 12-15 tons. Loading out is relatively easy, about 5 minutes to load 700 lbs with an electrically powered auger, same way I fill it in the first place. That auger makes a great way to coat the salt with Magic.

[Edited by Alan on 10-07-2000 at 01:41 AM]

7. John Allin

John Allin LawnSite Bronze Member

We can't get magic0 here, or we WOULD be using it.

The Magic dude (not Parker) wants us to carry it, but we have no-where to store enough of it to make it worth bringing it in. I got enough going on right now. I don't want to be a distributor.

8. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

John we are talking to a supplier out of the Buffalo area for magic salt here in Jamestown. If you would like the contact name let me know and I will E-mail it to you.

Matt

9. John Allin

Oh yeah. Please do. I wonder what he'll charge to come spray our piles?? I'd love to start using that on our salt piles. I'm certain we'll give our customers much better results with it, from what I know.

Yes. Please email it to me.

Thanks Matt.

10. John Allin

Actually (and I just thought of this) we have a couple of 1600 gallon poly tanks sitting empty out back that we could store the magic product in, and then just pump it into the salt building and spray it ourselves. I saw that set up at John Parkers place one of the times I was out there.

Yup. Now I'm REAL interested in that address/phone number.