Tank Trbl

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Dennis, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

I have the 48" Cub tank, I have been using it for 2 seasons and I cannot stop the turf damage. I have found what I think is wrong but Shop says no prob.
    The Prob: while driving foward fast or slow when I release the levers gradually or quickley the left wheel stops, the right will roll slowly to a stop. This quick stopping is tearing the sod. also this tire wore out very premataurly at about 200 hrs completly bald the right tire is still orig and has about 600 hrs.
    Is there any way to fix this.
    Thanks for any help
    Dennis

2. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

could it be the dampers on the levers? if I release pull back on the levers hard on a scag turf tiger, the wheels will lock, as they should to stop, but maybe your left control damper is weak or out of adjustment?

3. Dennis

Dennis LawnSite Member
    from Ga.

Shultz
    I don't think so. If I jack up the rear and push levers foward and VERY slowly let off it usually won't do it, But it must be a very slow return, I now have the left wheel so that it still turns foward even with levers in neutral pos.
    Could this still be damper and if so how do I adjust
    Thanks
    Dennis

4. Shultz

Shultz LawnSite Member

sounds more like the hydros are out of adjustment. The dampers are like little shocks that help the levers back to neutral, but also slow the movement, so you cant jerk them back too hard to cause skidding. Basically, they look similar to the struts on a hatchback or truck cap lid. I think the dampers are replaceable, but not cheap, around 50 bucks or so. I dont think on thescags they are not adjustable, but i havent looked.

I was thinking that one was weak, and the lever was able to move back too fast, but the fact that the one hydro moves forward while in neutral make me believe that your left wheel motor is slightly out of adjustment, though all may creep a little while up in the air. do the sticks steer straight when all the way forward, or do you have to move the left lees than the right.
    Ive found that steering with the levers is quite a finesse operation, some people make it look easy, and some never get it, tearing the turf at every turn.