tap in where, and back flow?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by happy, Jul 26, 2007.

1. happy

happy LawnSite Member

I have a beginner type of question. I have no problem out in the field, but have a question as to where to tap into the water. This is on a residental yard, the meter is under the lid in the front lawn. Do we tap in in the front lawn in the ground and set a 36" deep box in around our tap in and shut off, or do we go inside and tap in and then drill hole through foundation wall to get back outside, and then put the backflow in. We did a system 8 years ago but it was commercial and seemed easier for some reason. Where is a good place to learn the irrigation basics as far as tap ins, backflows, and such?

2. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

If the water company allows you tap in the meter pit than that is what I would do. Use a good quality brass compression tee and ball valve. Drill the hole through the meter pit with the correct size hole saw and run the pipe up to a bed (to hide the backflow) and go from there.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Call the big dogs..have them check the regs ,(our purveyors want the assembly @ meter location) a tap is not a relaxing situation; large water bills
    and new golf clubs for the lawyers should a leak or break occur.
    Speaking of ex-big dogs, a ex-contactor friend of mine wired his pump-start
    relay at his brand new home irrigation system. Hey, he was a "pro" what's
    the big deal? House caught fire, total loss, fire marshall finally pinpoints the
    cause, advises my pal to sue the wiring sub...yep.....he was the sub, & he
    lost all because he should have got the proper trades in.:nono:

4. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

What I meant is.. some local water company's won't allow anybody to tap in the meter pit or even put a hole in it. Even though the homeowner or builder paid for this pit they can say whatever because their meter is in it.
    By all means a licensed plumber should do the tap.:rolleyes:

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

We worked with our plumbers & electricians & pump contractors for twenty-
    five years..we brought them work..they sent us work..we paid our bills before
    we paid ourselves...the bond remains to this day.

6. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

tap after meter box but before pressure red. valve is how we do it done here and it also helps to have your best friend(cert. plumber)call and permit it for you so everthing is nice and legal.Good luck