tapered edges

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by laborador, May 8, 2004.

1. laborador

laborador LawnSite Member

Some of the pictures I see of the yards that you guys are doing have tapered edges and some do not. My question is how many of you taper you edges and if so do you not only taper the edges around the driveway, sidewalks, curbs, do you also taper the edges around beds after edging. It seems if you can get it to look good with out tapereing it, it would safe a lot of time. Thanks

2. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

A straight vertical edge looks much nicer

3. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

I like a vertical edge and a rolled [tappered edge] but this takes trimming twice. This makes a nice tight green lawn.........

4. laborador

I am pretty weak when it comes to making tapered edges. I seem to burn the grass a lot. What is your technique to help not burn the edges, where do you put the trimmer head. Thanks

5. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Straight vertical edges here 90% of the time. Sometime we taper a little around some beds

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

DO NOT flat top/taper the edges!!!! if i had a nickle for every time i said this, i'd, well, have a few nickles.

7. laborador

I assume you guys that do not taper, mow with the edges of the mowing deck all the way to the edge. I have heard from some people that when you do this that the edges are flat instead of verticle because the wheels and casters are smushing the grass down. Do you guys experience this. Thanks

8. pjslawncare/landscap

Why Bobby, been doing that forever. Looks great, like stick edger

9. pjslawncare/landscap

Actually I lap over the edge a few inches to the pavement side

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

If you are really good with a line trimmer it doesn't take that much longer to bevel an edge. I do it when the edger and mower left it looking shaggy and as I walk from one bed to another along a piece of pavement. It takes me no longer to walk it an my customers like the little extra.

I alternate my mow path to avoid rutting and 1 in 4 mows I leave a 6-12 in swath of grass that needs to be line trimmed so it gets beveled then and I don't have to worry so much about rutting up against the bed.