Target Marketing Seniors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chris W, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Chris W

Chris W LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Just wondering if anyone has tried to target the senior market and what the pros and cons would be with dealing with seniors.
    I am just getting started and have been curious whether this would be a viable venture ...since they do have most of the disposable income and they "seem" to feel more obligated to pay there bills ????

Thoughts :drinkup:
  2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Seniors make up about 30% of my clients. The pro's as far as I am concerned are that they pay on time. If they are pleased in the least with your work, they are reluctant to get rid of you. They usually are fastidious about their property, which can lead to more add-on services. They are very loyal (redundant).

The only cons that I can think of is that they require more of a personal relationship with you, which I dont mind. They like to tell you the same story multiple times, which can be irritating, but I indulge them anyway. They may ask you to do unusual things like flip the mattress on their bed or help get the Christmas tree down from the attic. Sometimes I perform these services for nothing, especially the Christmas tree thing or charge by the hour for the other stuff. To be completely honest with you, seniors are my best clients.
  3. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I agree with everything Locutus said. Also keep in mind that seniors are usually retired which means they are home most times when you go to cut. Somtimes this leads to nagging or long talks that eat up your work time.
  4. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Creative, I can honestly say that I dont get much of the nagging but, I do get my share of the long talk kind of thing. If I'm in a hurry, I kind of ease my way towards my truck as I'm talking to them and make my escape in that manner.

I forgot to mention that more than one of my senior clients said that they hired me based on referral from another senior as well as my appearance. I always wear some sort of shirt with a collar, Usually a polo shirt with some khaki pants. This seems to be a big big deal with them. Perception is reality in the eyes of the customer.
  5. Little Guy

Little Guy LawnSite Member

I agree with both of you guys. I wish everyone were that easy to please.
  6. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Most of my customers are retirees that are 62 or older. This area of Florida is loaded with 55 and over subs so there is plenty of seniors to target. I have very few problems with collecting mowing fees since most want to pay in advance to insure reliable service. As stated above, many of them are very picky about their lawns so quality of service is very important. A neat appearance is also important to them so I wear polo shirts and kahki shorts (no Denim or cutoffs). One last thing... they really appreciate small favors such as carrying the trash cans back to the garage or picking up the newspaper and taking it to their door. These little things have paid dividends in the form of referrals and small monetary tips in cash and gift certificates. I would also have to say that they are the best customers.
  7. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I dont deal with many seniors around my way. But the few I have arent a problem. The only thing they want are cheap prices. They dont understand the value of labor and time and they still want to pay me like a little lawnboy.
  8. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Seniors make up a large portion of my business. Cant really come up with any cons to not work for them. Most of them talk to you because they are lonely and have no one around to talk to so i do not mind sitting around a few minutes and talk, thats the highlight of the week for them. Some people who say they hate that they talk so much, 5 or 10 minutes each time, big deal. You will get in the same shape one of these days and be doing the same thing, so be nice, talk and respect them.

Seniors are the first ones to pay you, and sometimes want to pay you before you finish the work. Id work for any senior, and get many refferals from them.
  9. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

LMAO Can you say 100%

In fact I probably maintain some of your clients homes down here.

Merry Christmas
  10. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

I do not work for them. But then again I do not do any residential unless I have a very good reason to i.e. builder or commercial property owners home. I don't do them for many reasons. Time spent on chit chat and needing too much personal attention are the major reasons. My crews do not speak english. They go to a site and do the work that is on the contract. Our business is not geared towards homeowners that are gonna sit and watch you work and come up with a list of extras to do while you are there. Our time is strictly budgeted. I know how much time every contract is going to take every day. No time for nickle and dime add ons.