Target neighborhood

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DynaMow, Jan 24, 2006.

1. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

From what I see hear alot of us target certain neighborhoods, What are some reasons you would target a certain area?

With my latest flyer I am targeting some neighborhoods on my fathers mail route. He has been delivering these houses for over 25 years.

Any ideas on this that you would like to share?

2. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

I try targeting neighborhoods that I currently have clients in. The less driving one has to do the more yards one can maintain.

3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

WINNER!!!! I target areas I already work in, and areas directly along my route to fill in the gaps.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What Wells said is definitely true. Also, we try to target middle class neighborhoods, like the older brick home types. Those brand new developments, I don't know, maybe it's just us, but from what we see, a lot of those people really skimp on their whole landscaping, because they are in over their heads with all their other bills.

5. ShieldsLandscaping

ShieldsLandscaping LawnSite Member

MajorTom, I know exactly what you mean about the new developements. My cousin just moved into a new one about a year and a half ago. The people there either go overboard and pay aout the a$$, or they only have light work done on the front only because they are up to their necks in debt or mortages etc from buying such a nice house. It really depends though.

Filling in the gaps and focusing on certain neighborhoods is a must though to make more money and use less G A S. I have two areas that I have about 5 in a row that I do (mowing and some landscaping). I plan to distribute flyers all out and about in those neighborhoods, and to add to that their are not to close to each other so I plan to hit some areas I see on my way that look like I can get a few calls back from.... The more the better I say when it comes to putting out flyers.

I live in south east PA.. when do you guys start handing them out?

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Since there running out of lots to build on, it seems all the new devlopments are lawn mower nightmares! I drove through a new delopment this weekend. 55 houses, and only 2 lawns i'd be able to mow with a ztr. Can you say steep slopes?

7. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

yeah I knew of this one, I didn't mention it because i feel most of us do this targeting practice.

8. ArkansasLawns

ArkansasLawns LawnSite Member

The older, well established areas are always a good place to start. Neighborhoods that have retired or single older home owners are always in need of lawn services. I have high percentage of widow's who's children are too busy to mow mom's yard. If you might want to run an ad in a small local newspaper. Use the word "references". The new prospect will probably not even ask for them but make sure you can provide some. I have signs on my truck but I cannot think of one yard or job I got because of it.

Word of mouth is still the best advertising you can do.

9. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

When targeting a neighbor hood I stay away from the new large developments for the reason Jodi said. I tend to stick with neighborhoods like mine. The homes were all built in the late 60's, all are well kept homes average price is 135-175K which is a middle class home around here.

Its the people that are working for a living, 40/50 maybe 60 hours a week and don't have the time or just don't want to spend the time cutting their grass, they're too busy between work and trying to find time to be with their families, yet they have a good enough income to afford the luxury of having their lawn cut or their landscaping done for them. I had 3 people last year that never had a LCO maintain their lawn, the people were spending on average 1-1.5 hours a week cutting their lawns, I come in and bust it out in 25 mins. You wouldn't believe how estatic these people are about the time I save them.

Thats who I target.

10. gll

gll LawnSite Member

I also am beginning to see what you guys say about the new developments. Last year I passed out over 500 flyers in these type of developments and only got 1 call. Also, in my experience, it seems like you can make more money from servicing middle class people rather than going after the "big" properties. Also, less headaches. Anyone else agree?