Target Store....?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LoneStarLawn, May 20, 2001.

1. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We just looked over a Target store for a bid and thought to ourselves that our bid might be too high...(Estimate for basic mowing services)
    Does anyone do the commercial mowing for a Target store? It store is by itself (not in a shopping center) so there is a lot to do.

2. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Tons of trash, if you don't do any BIG commercials yet then you have NO IDEA of how much TRASH you are about to encounter. Just a little advice. Don't bid too low.

3. curlawngreen

curlawngreen Banned

Lets here some details.Grass area,edge length,parking lot area, shrub cubic feet, snow, freqency.What did you bid and for what?

4. LoneStarLawn

We're in south Texas...there is no snow!!!! I don't have the numbers we based our bid on our experience and was just looking for those who actually mow this particular store to respond to compare notes...

*The other Target stores in the city are almost identical (Those that stand alone)

5. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

how do you get involved with a large company like target. who do you speak with about giving an estimate. i have a lot of banks in my area and it was so hard to speak with the right person. how do you guys get the oppurtunity with stores like target. thanks

6. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Persistence.

7. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Alan

B'Mut has a GREAT point about the trash factor. There are so many times that you can spend hours picking up trash on a project site such as this depending on the proximity to the hwy or major thoroughfare.

The other things to warey of is debris that you will find scattered along the roadsides if there is no plaza to protect your proposed site. Quite often if we bid something that is close to major roadways we will often keep a spare junked set of blades handy for just these properties.

I would also take a look at the ornamental beds that may be spread throughout the lots or alongside them. If they have trees you will have to coordinate times for pruning the suckers(new growth) off the sapplings, in addition to your weekly weeding.

Cigarette butts scattered along the front of the entrances and exits should be something you give them a basic estimate on. They may even have the machines right there and you have to do is add the fuel or oils and away you go.

Keep in mind that if your trimming operations upon completetion or during mowing operations is going to be near vehicles parked in the lots for business you may want to consider talking with your crews about double time for sundays - IF TARGET CAN AFFORD YOUR SERVICES!! and they dont open until noon.

Or, if they are not open until say 9 or 10 during the week then they should go first on your list and make sure that all the trimming is complete and such so that once the patrons and employees begin to arrive all they will have to contend with is the blowing off of the pavements.

Good Luck,
    Kris

8. Freetime

Freetime LawnSite Member

Trash, trash and more trash, commercial properties are notorious for paper, cigarette filters, cig packs (empty), dirty diapers (yep) Styrofoam cups, and any number of items that can be thrown away. Will you also be cleaning the parking lot?

Picking up any garbage is costing you time and money and you should charge for it. Think you bid to high probably not. Take a good look at this property over the weekend and watch traffic/trash pile up. You will need an extra person to clean trash meaning more cost to you.

Take a good look at it all around and ask your self “do I really want this job for the hassle” you will find that your bid is in line if not low.

Just my opinion on commercial retail stores, but then again it is “the risk of doing your business” LOL

Good luck in whatever you choice.
    :)

9. LoneStarLawn

Sometimes it is just who you know...

Life is like that a lot of the time...It's who you know not what you know...

No we will not be doing the parking lots...trash is not a problem...it is covered ( Not our first commercial) and of course it is irrigated.

10. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Most of us use formulas based on hourly rate, drive time, equipment needed, profit margin,etc. You should get something like that together to use. It saves alot of guess work as to what to charge in a bid. You work it up and that's the price. I never work up a bid and say, wow that's too much, or not enough, because that's the price! It then becomes the potential clients' decision as to pay it or not, if not - move on to the next property. Doing it this way assures you a stable of profitable accounts.