Tarp-Leaf cleanup

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Tony Harrell, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

I found the easiest way (for me) to get the bulk leaves up is to use a tarp with 2 people. Then the rest is either blown or sucked up with a shred and vac. I really thought it was going to be difficult, but it wasn't. The only problems I encountered saturday were leaves in english ivy and the wind. These leaves were so thick, if you made a couple of strokes with the rake you'd be knee deep in leaves. This particular yard wouldn't be a good candidate for a Walker or other rider/bagger. Oh yeah, she had a leland cypress that just fell over. We cut it up with a sawzall with a 12" blade, worked just fine. Carried it to the street for an extra $50. If I EVER see leaves in ivy I'm gonna pass it up. I personally think ivy is high maint. I hate it. I used the shred and vac and exposed hundreds of ant hills. This is a structural pest customer of mine and last year she was having ant problems in her house. I always suspect ivy when this happens and now I know for sure.

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If i am reading your post correctly, im under the impression you dont have a blower? Do yourself the biggest favor and purchase at least a backpack blower. You will increase your productivity by a ton. Why waste your time handraking when you could be way more productive.

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

mdb, I am getting the same out of it. Man get a blower and you will reap the benifits.

I had a br400 backpack and used to hate to do landscape areas, especially with ground cover, but they all have them. This year, I got me a redmax eb7000. Man is that blower sweet. In just a short amount of time, areas with vines can be cleaned out. I bet if you get a powerful backpack blower, you will be looking for these properties with landscaping and ground cover to clean up.

:D :D

4. sirsweatsalot

sirsweatsalot LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

"Then the rest is either blown or sucked up with a shred and vac"

i don't think i read it wrong. if its too windy a blower is a waste of time in my eyes if the wind is blowing like 20mph and its just makeing a mess. its better to just rake up the yard in my opinion. more control.

5. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, I had a handheld shred and vac which has a tube for when you need to blow. The wind wasn't supposed to come in until "late afternoon". We had it pretty well cleaned up and the wind would blow leaves from down the street across the lawn/ivy. I still don't like ivy. I learn something from every job I do.

6. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Any backpack blower in ivy = 5x faster than a rake. Especially if you use the older tubes with the curved end; use tube so you are blowing parallel to ground, even slightly upward, and all ground covers are a breeze.

My 10 hp LW wheel blower in ivy = 5x faster than any backpack.

Windy? Duh...., work with the wind to your back. With a good wheel blower, I have moved leaves into a 15 mph wind. Just set the directional gate a little upward to blow over the top of your leaf piles, and you will just roll the piles into the wind.

7. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Re: tarps...yesterday I had a 4 acre cleanup...(not done yet...will get frostbite finishing it today!!!) where I could dump on the property. One of you had a suggestion that I want to thank you for because it never crossed my feeble brain...ground up the leaves with the Z and then started bagging then and dumpng them into 2 12/15 tarps with nylon rope tied all the way around the edges...enough rope is left over to tie the tarp to the Z hitch and then tow the big heavy mess to the dump area a few hundred yards away.....it worked very well, was fast, and while we all say we hate leaves, it was a piece of cake with this approach....I think the person who suggested this approach was using a walk behind to tow...the tarps were the el cheapo $15 versions and they did not tear at all....thanks again to the person who offered this tip

8. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i did a tough leaf job yesterday.
    i dropped the deck all the way dn and pushed the leaves up close to her garden.the pile was 50 ft or more long ,
    and deeper than the rear wheels of the lazer. i then slowly mulched them into her garden. this leaf mulch is great to keep garden soil loose.

9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Tarping the leaves is the best thing i've done for myself.

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

GarPA - I'm not sure if it was my post you say in my "found a lawn today" thread, but that's exactly what I do, but I tie it to the platform of my sulky. Sure beats dragging them by hand!