Tarp or Plywood for leaf box?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenMonster, Mar 14, 2004.

1. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I'm finishing up my leaf box and I'm wondering what I should use for the top.

Like most issues, a search of the archives didn't provide a cut & dry answer, so.....

Should I use a breathable tarp or plywood?

If a tarp, should it be canvas, or mesh pvc? PVC doesn't seem as though it would hold up.

If it matters, leaf box is on the back of an F350 dump. Leaf loader is 16hp little wonder.

Also, I have an 18' foot trailer. I had thought I was going to put the leaf loader on the tongue, but if I have the room, wouldn't it be just as easy to install on the trailer deck, then take off after leaf season? I'll still have plenty of room for equipment.

opinions please, thanks.

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Mesh Tarp!
    Mesh Tarp!
    Mesh Tarp!

And if that doesn't work try.........

A MESH TARP!!!!!!!

3. GreenMonster

from NH

Ok, I'm thinking you're partial to the mesh tarp???

Are we talking canvas? PVC? Other?

4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

hey, i believe your best bet is to put plywood on for the sides and mesh tarp for the top, this allows for ventiliation on the top but the versatility of the plywood on the sides. best of luck

5. ksland

Now thats a great idea! [​IMG]

6. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a ez dumpster, and put 4' high walls and enclosed the top, all but maybe 1.5' for ventalation, used 1/4" wire mesh. It worked great, I'll post pics tomorrow if I get time. used 1/2" wolmanized plywood. actually search this site in my name, think I have a pic of it on here.

7. ksland

Here is mine, I also had another I will post after

dsc01271.jpg

8. ksland

Here is the other one I set up

dump with leaf box.jpg

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

10. GreenMonster

from NH

k&s

I like that set-up on the red dump truck. It looks like you built the box and just set it in the dump? I had thought about doing that so that I wouldn't have to remove the sides (only one board) that were already in there. Instead, I built in into the rails.

My sides are 6' measured from the bottom of the dump bed. Hopefully, the loader at mulch supplier will reach high enough to clear the sides.