Tarp Problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greens, Feb 15, 2002.

1. greens

greens LawnSite Member

I have always bought the cheap tarps and they tend to tear and wear out easily. I was wondering the brand of tarps you all use. Are they heavy duty and last a long time? :cool:
  2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

id like to add to this question, what all do u use ur tarps for? some may come up with ideas that others havent.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

just a thought . i use a square piece of carpet that ive rubberised.tough as heck and can be used as a tool to drag debre into the woods etc.
  4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Greens- Do you mean tarps for carrying leaves for clean-ups or for covering the load on the truck? For carrying leaves, I look for an old pool cover, usually find them at the curb when people are throwing them away. Seem to be heavier material than tarps you can buy to cover boats, etc. I found one last year that was so big, I cut it into 6 pieces. For covering a load on the truck, I use the Bulldog covers from the nursery I go to. It is a heavy, mesh material that doesn't blow around like a plastic tarp, the wind goes through it. I still use the first one I bought in 1995. Mike
  5. greens

greens LawnSite Member

Sorry, In my part of the country alomost everyone bags the grass on residential mowings. So, I mostly use tarps for grass in the back of my truck. We usually layer the tarps as we fill the truck with grass so it is easier to dump. But the tarps I buy wear out and tear quickly.:confused:
  6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

We use several Bull Dog tarps for covering nursery material and loose debris in the dump trucks. They seem to last forever, short of sharp objects/debris cutting through them.

Blue plastic cheapy tarps for leaf clean up. Disposable... throw them away when they're too beat up to use again. We use larger tarps when the leaves are dry, and smaller tarps as the leaves get heavier later into fall due to rain/snow.

I have seen guys use what looks like burlap. Does anyone use burlap? Compared to plastic blue tarps?
  7. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

good idea about using layers of tarps between the grass pile. northern i believe it is sells different tarps and different thicknesses u may want to check in there catalog or website.
  8. ladibugg

ladibugg LawnSite Member

I have an old army surplus, oil skin od green canvas, like the outback coats only thicker that I use for everything except pulling leaves. It's to heavy for that. But this thing can make a great tent, I use it for plantings to catch debris, over plants when traveling, as a wind break on some days. I even use it as a mat to lay on during machine work. I have seen them on the net, but shipping would be a killer. Go find an army/navy surplus and you are in. It is the greatest and cheap compared to others. It is also 50 years old (WWII) and still usable. The blu cheap ones get destroyed so quick, but they are light weight.
  9. we've been using burlap sacs for ever. They last about 3 to 4 months of hauling trimmings grass clippings ect... As long as they don't stay wet for a long time.

Other stuff that you can use: forgot the name of it, but it's like a felt that building contractors use to put between cement foundation and dirt.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Greens, check out Habor Freight Tools, they always have different tarps on clearance for what appear to be pretty good prices.