1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tax EIN number and purchasing equipment help?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Ijustwantausername, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

When I got my EIN last year I thought it was to help me identify my business and to avoid paying sales tax like when farmers buy a piece of machinery. I tried to buy a mower and they said they would not take off sales tax and would only honor it if I were "tax exempt from the dept. of revenue."

Sooo, what number do I need to not pay sales taxes on stuff like that?

I called IRS and the Dept of Revenue and no one can help me.

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

dont know about your state but in most of them you cannot buy equipment for your business use tax exempt. In Ohio i can buy materials i use on a job tax exempt but then i have to bill the customer for the tax. Only goods and materials for resale can be purchased tax exempt.

3. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

EIN is a Federal tax number, like your SSN. Sales tax number is from the state. I need sales tax number to collect and make payments to the state. In PA. the only thing I don't pay sales tax on is an item I get for resale.

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Sale tax exempt is usually for material only that your going to resell. Mulch,no tax ,but you resell it at a higher price and collect it on that.

5. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, methinks youthunk wrong. ;)

6. nice try but no cigar.

7. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

Ah ha! Thanks Grandview. My grandfather (long time tobacco farmer) got in a funk when I told him I paid sales tax on equipment, as he does not due to his tax exempt farm number.

I didn't know how all that worked.

8. you would be amazed at what you find out if you ever have a state use tax audit.

9. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

RESALE

The end user pays the sales tax.. with few exceptions.

as other have told you.

10. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

IDA's can grant sales tax exemptions on equipment purchased,but that's a whole different thing.