tax id

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by philo, Jul 31, 2004.

1. philo

philo LawnSite Member

Hi everyone. I'm planning on starting a new business in about 2 years but until then I just want to build resources, make contacts and stuff like that. So I'm looking on advice about whether or not I should get a tax id now for credibility or wait until I'm actually ready to open to the public.
    I'd appreciate any opinions.
    :confused:

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

There's no reason to get one now. Generally if you are working by yourself, you can use your SSN. If you log onto the IRS website, they have a list of criteria to determine whether or not you can use your SSN.

I've never had anybody ask me what mine is.

3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

I agree with Hoolie.

What you could consider is registering your business name now.

4. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Tax numbers are for sales tax purposes. If you are responsible for collecting sales taxes, you will need a sales tax number. They are issued by your state department of revenue. In some cases, you may also be responsible for county, city or other local taxes. Usually, the state tax number is also used for these repotings.

A Federal Employer Identification Number, FEIN, sometimes called EIN, is necessary if you have employees on a payroll. If you incorporate, or form a limited liability company (LLC), you may wish to get a EIN in order to assist in establishing the company or corporation as a sepatate entity, useful for credit purposes.

If you don't have to collect sales taxes in your state or locality, you don't need a tax number. In some states, Alabama and Florida for example, if you pay the sales tax at the wholesale level (when you buy an item) you do not have to charge your customer tax. CHECK YOUR STATE and local laws.

In some state, you do not have to charge taxes on labor, in some states you MUST charge tax on labor.

If you are going to be a one man operation, a sole proprietor, you have NO NEED for an FEIN. But, you may elect to get one to establish your business a separate credit file.

Laws vary by state and local. Check with your state, county, and city departments of revenue.

5. DIRTRACING20

DIRTRACING20 LawnSite Member

guys I'm new to this and need a little help. Where do u go to get your business license? My other problem is I found out that I need a licenes to spray roundup where what do I do? I know it my be odd quistions but I want to have MY BUSINESS ON THE UP&UP thanks for any help guys

6. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Maybe you should talk to an accountant or even a lawyer.
    Yes, it's best to do it right.

7. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Wait until you are ready to do business!

8. ichinaga

ichinaga LawnSite Member
    from NJ

DIRTRACING20 -

I registered my business at the county clerks office and got business licenses from each of the towns I work in.

As for the Round UP - Unless you want some fines, I'd definately stay away from spraying anything without a license.

9. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

dirt
    you can get all you need at your state's dept of revenue (not IRS) The people there will answer all your questions on what forms to fill out and where to get bonded (any bank will do this)