1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

    Dismiss Notice

Tax Indenification Number

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by procut, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. procut

    procut LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,853

    I wnet to the bank today to open a new business savings account. I gave the lady my DBA papers and she looked at them and started punching stuff into her computer. She then asked for my tax ID number. I thought I didn't need one since I have no employees, you just used your social security number, but apperently this is not the case. Anyways, I saw a link once on this site once where you go to apply for a tax ID number, I tried searching, but didn't find it, anybody know it? Thanks!
  2. packerbacker

    packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,433

    I use my SS#, never had a problem with it
  3. MMLawn

    MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,569

    You are CORRECT. If it is a Sole Prop and you have no employees you can legally use your SSN. If you want a FEN then go to www.irs.gov and I believe it is Form Number SS4 if I remember way back then correctly.
  4. procut

    procut LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,853

    Thats what I thought, but she assured me that to do things right I needed a Tax Idenification number. Anyone else have any ideas?
  5. packerbacker

    packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,433

    Who is this lady? Just a bank worker? My accountant told me i dont need one. Im going with her on this one.
  6. LB1234

    LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,210

    what type of business do you have (i.e. Corporation, LLC, Sole Pro., etc.)

    As others have said...sole pro. can utilize their ss# for tax id.
  7. twins_lawn_care

    twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member
    Posts: 932

    Maybe try a different bank.
    All I needed was my business license, which was my proof of operating, and use my SS# for my tax id number. basically, since all income from the business as a sole prop. is yours, this is why your SS# can be used.
    could also call up their branch manager to get the correct info on how they should handle this, and bring it in with you before going in. may save some trouble on your part.
  8. packerbacker

    packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member
    Posts: 1,433

  9. fga

    fga LawnSite Silver Member
    Posts: 2,449

    if i remember right, when i filed for my DBA papers, i was automaictally given a tax id number. i could be wrong, maybe i made it a point to get it all taken care of in i shot.
    how long have you been in business? there are alot of things that require an ID number. the local commercial suppliers don't ask too many questions, but i always get asked for tax id. other wise i get charged alot more.
    and the fertilizer supplier won't sell without a tax id. (before i was legit, i'd hit up some home depot brand :) )
  10. MMLawn

    MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member
    Posts: 3,569

    That sounds like a city or state sales tax ID number.

    You couldn't have been given with just filing a DBA/AKA as DBA papers are a local thing and only the IRS can issue a FEIN. Now you might have been given some type of City Tax ID Number or maybe even a State but the one that matters is the Fed one.

Share This Page