Tax on new mower????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by williams lcm, Mar 4, 2013.

1. mowcrazy

mowcrazy LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly why I buy out of state. I just bought a cheetah and saved almost a grand......... If they ever get me Ill regret it but i just don't think this "TEAM" is out working on little guys like us...........

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

maybe they aren't. but that hardly fair. the law is suppose to apply to EVERYONE.

my point exactly. this team can't even begin to track every single united states citizens out of state, tax free purchases. so why bother trying to track anyone and why bother having a law for it.

3. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

They cant track everyone but the field reps told me they talk about it every meeting they have and are aggressively attacking the cross state line sales that go unreported, and the farm use exemption fraud. I have several guys I know that went to the federal pen for tax evasion and fraud. When I hear aggressively attacking and hiring more people for one issue I am careful to report everything now. Expecially on accounts like ebay that keep records forever on your accounts and what you bought and sold. If you buy something from a garage sell you are legally supposed to report your purchase and pay sales tax on it...lol I try to educate my customers when they yank out their farm card. Under the exemption law in texas and oklahoma under lawn mower is says flat out no if classified as an exemption qualified purchase. I won't argue with people though, I will still allow them to use it because if they are truely using it 100% farm use like a tractor who am I to call em liers... Even now on a public post, some people that say they buy and not pay tax might be zeroed in on by the G'men...lol

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

which is why I said earlier if this team were to really zero in on online purchases like from ebay or amazon sites like that will eventually shut down because people will stop using them.

people don't want to keep track of everything they buy from ebay or amazon or wherever then report it at the end of the year to pay taxes on it.

if your gonna pay taxes on that stuff just find it somewhere local and skip the hassle of shipping and all that.

5. I pay mine, don't know about any other state but Indiana does do audits, and if you are lucky enough to go through a sales tax use audit, they will go through all your receipts and check to see if you paid sales tax on items. Been through two of them now and don't really want to go through any more, or if they are auditing some company that you have done business with that you didn't pay sales tax they will notify you.

6. hartje123

hartje123 LawnSite Member

You people who think they can get by with out paying sales tax are sharing it on here and there are auditors checking this site. They will find some of you.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

If OP is buying over eBay instate than yes he will get hit with sales tax. He should buy out of state and avoid the sales tax, if his prerogative is to avoid sales tax. Otherwise, just buy local.

One thing states try to do to scam you out of your hard earned money is charge you Use Tax on items you purchase out of state. Gotta be a fool to actually pay this scam tax.

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Crying over a few hundred dollars hardly seems worth it. Pain is my last truck that cost over 60k which kicked above the 50k threshold ct now has for making it a luxury and thus 7% tax.

9. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

Its called USE TAX people! Required to pay the tax on anything purchased from another state. If you write it off on your business you better be paying the tax.

This is a easy audit find. If you get audited this is one of the by far easiest hits they will get on you.

They take an average and back charge up to 7 years + fees and fines. ,,,,no thanks. I'd rather pay the $100 or so I owe each year from online purchases.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Online purchases are going to be the next big cash cow for the gov. You can't pay with cash online so the trail is easy to find. Banks will be required to sort all the transactions and report them. Why? Because banks are now heavy monitored by the gov for full transparency and disclosure. If your lucky you will be given notice to pay or it will just be taken from your accounts. Just remember you can be audited up to 7 years back. Think of the trillions spent online mostly tax unnoticed, the gov is. The more cash strapped the gov gets, the more they will look for ways to shake down John Q. Public.
    Posted via Mobile Device