Tax on new mower????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by williams lcm, Mar 4, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Grass Disaster and Patriot have it right (IMO). The tax is a USE tax. For PA filers of Sales Tax collection, one entry on the form every month is USE tax. It is the taxes due (at PA rates) on out of state purchases that were not taxed. I added the last provision because many online retailers are now collecting Sales Tax for your state. Buying across state lines for the purpose of avoiding your own state's sales tax is a big no-no (as somebody correctly stated above, ... easy to spot in an audit).

I think Amazon has started to collect PA sales tax. Some government regs are beginning to kick in requiring online vendors to collect the proper tax for the state to which the sale is made.

Some of the posts in this thread reveal exactly what other threads also reveal -- many business owners do not know the taxing rules for the state of their residence. Claiming to buy across state lines to avoid your own state's sales taxes, and claiming "I didn't know" is a faulty strategy of explanation.

2. yardguy28

yardguy28 LawnSite Platinum Member

my answer would be to quit buying things online and I would to. I would move to buying everything local. then you can't a use tax from me.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Is there no local sales tax where you live?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. yardguy28

there is but would you rather pay sales tax on things you buy locally or pay sales tax on things you didn't even buy in your own state?

5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Not really true, if an online company is charging sales tax it is usually your home state tax rate.They then remit to your state.

6. yardguy28

the answer for how you are suppose to report sales tax on those things you buy out of state like ebay.

rather than keep track of all those types of purchases I would rather stop making purchases from those places and just buy things at my local stores.

why buy a car from FL and report the sales tax to your home state. why not buy the car from your home state.

7. grandview (2006)

I prefer local to. As for a car/truck ever try buying a 10 yr old one in Buffalo with out it being a rust bomb?

8. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

No kidding, being born and raised on Grand Island I remember the rust all too well. Often thought about bringing up mid 2000's trucks for resale.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. yardguy28

no I'd never buy a 10 year old vehicle. I don't buy new but I wouldn't buy that used.

10. grandview (2006)

Just referring to your buying a car out of state. People will drive down south to get a good used car. So you would have no chose but to pay sales tax to the county it will be registered in.