Tax question

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by jimmyzlc, Jan 12, 2009.

1. jimmyzlc

jimmyzlc LawnSite Senior Member

Is there a deduction you can take for the gasoline you purchase? I thought I had seen something about it on here, but cannot find the thread. Anyone know what I am talking about. Thanks.

2. Marvelous Gardens

Marvelous Gardens LawnSite Member

Yes you can write off your offroad fuel for your equiment and vehicle. I believe there is also some type of tax credit, be sure to have the number of gallons you hve purchased. Hope this helps, I would contact your tax professional for a more accurate answer.

3. phlandscaping

phlandscaping LawnSite Member

Yes! Last year it was under my expense section I do believe! Along with parts... (Trimmer String, blades....)

4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

100 % equiptment fuel, .50? per mile, 100% ag.
    dont mess with the offroad. if you get ag fuel. dont put it in your truck.

5. Marvelous Gardens

I did not mean ag fuel. I consider all fuel not used in my truck off-road, and thats how I have it set up in quickbooks, it is an expense. In the memo I put the gallon amount on each receipt. I keep my truck fuel in seperate category so I can monitor my miles and fuel charges closely. Sorry for the confusion.

6. Frontier-Lawn

Frontier-Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

last year when H&R Block did mine i was told either i could take the fed and local tax off per gal for the equipment gas or take .45$ per mileage for the year for the truck.

7. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

Fuel is an ordinary and necessary expense of doing business. Accordingly, it is deductible. Your question however seems overly simplistic.

8. Marvelous Gardens

I cant see where your gas used in your equipment has anything to do with your truck mileage. I was told you can either use the expenses occured from your truck like oil changes, tires, parts, repairs, etc. or the mileage but not both. The equipment fuel should be a seperate expense. But I could be wrong

9. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

No, you are right.

10. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Off road fuel/gas is a tax credit on the hiway taxes paid and the remainder is treated as an expense. This means that all your off road fuel is a 100% expense.

All fuel/gas for equiptment needs to be kept separate, with separate reciepts, from any fuel purchased for your vehicles.

The mileage allowance for 2008 was $0.505 from Jan 1, 2008 - June 30 2008 and then became $0.585 from July 1, 2008 - Dec 31, 2008. The rate established for 2009 is now at $0.55 per mile, down $0.035 from the $0.585 used for the second half of 2008.