Tax questions....to file or not to file.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by drsogr, Nov 2, 2004.

1. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Basically I have done very little work this year. I was planning on learning this year and getting started next year. Fortunately I got sucked into some work and learned some lessons this year that will help me next year. My question is should I file business taxes? I work fulltime, and do this part time. I have spent more on my business this year than I have made. I am a sole-proprietorship.

I need to find an accountant, is it best to find one now, or wait until tax season? How will they charge me? I know during tax season they charge a flat rate....how about during the offseason?

Thanks for all your help.

2. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

find one now. worst time is during the tax rush.

i'd file so that you can either take a loss this year from the venture, or carry it forward to next year. whatever you do, talk to an accountant if you're not sure what to do.

3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You really have no choice, esp if you had other income as well because as a SP you file all income sources with your personal taxes.

4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

you must file. no legal way not to. the loss on the business will offset income from your other job.

5. Electra_Glide

Electra_Glide LawnSite Member

I agree with MacLawn. In one way, it's a good thing. As a sole proprietor you'll be able to use your business loss to offset some of your income from your full-time job, and lower your overall tax burden.

BTW...I'm in the same boat for this year as you.

Take care...

Joe Kantz

6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi drsogr,

Do you know any other local business owners that could suggest a local CPA?

7. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I haven't even began to look. I was looking at the possible tax benefits of filing, since I lost about $200 in my business this year and was wondering if it would even be worth filing, considering I will probably spend $300 getting an accountant and everything else. It sounds like I have to file no matter how much I make or lose for that matter. I was under the impression if you lost money that could consider your business a hobby.