1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

tax software or accountant?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by workinallthetime, Mar 1, 2007.

1. workinallthetime

workinallthetime LawnSite Member

ok guys which one should i use some tax software or accountant?
    what do you guys pay accountants to take care of your stuff?
    what software do you use if you go that route?
    this tax stuff sux, im confused about depreciating equipment and truck, im in oklahoma if that matters but i dont think it does.
    thanks for any help
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

price depends
  3. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

It really depends on how big you are or how big you want to get. When we first started we just did it ourselves but now we need an accountant to sort through all of our reciepts. There are several catagories you have to put things into, example...Fuel goes into one, then repairs for your vehicle, repairs for the equipment, equipment purchases, and supplies for the office, supplies for the equipment and on and on. They all go into seperate catagories. For the 90 or so bucks, to me its worth it for a professional to do it.
  4. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Accountant for me. Just like nobagger said, its worth it. Not to mention, if I get audited, my accountant will be there.
  5. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

6. nick-bigfootlawn

nick-bigfootlawn LawnSite Member

nobagger, is that $90 a year? or $90 a month? Do you just take your taxes into them once a year, or do you have all checks /receipts forwarded to them during the year?