1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

taxes and keeping records?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by straightlinelawns, Feb 27, 2004.

1. straightlinelawns

straightlinelawns LawnSite Member

what is the best way to keep track of all your expenses and earnings without that expensive software. I've been in business for two years now and the business is starting to grow but I think I can get away with another year without the software. I have a computer with word, and excel so maybe I can make a sheet to keep track. any help would be great?
  2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I did spreadsheets in Excel for years. But this year I spent $129 on Quickbooks Basic and that is much easier...

3. muxx

muxx LawnSite Member

I have always used quickens and quickbooks and love them.
  4. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Quickbooks. This software saves me at least what it retails for every year. My version is 98 I think and it still does everything I need. It is wonderful that I can print a statement with invoice and payment history by just clicking whenever a client is late or thinks they already paid me because the invoice amount was the same two months in a row. I suck at paperwork and this program saves my ........
  5. macaw

macaw LawnSite Senior Member

Quickbooks No matter what it cost. It will be well worth it. My wife keeps my books and if there anything I need to know with a few clicks of the mouse there it is from what I did last year or 5 years
    ago from customer's to equipment
  6. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Quickbooks, Have your accountant tell you how to set it up. Best money I have ever spent on my business.
  7. sgallaher

sgallaher LawnSite Senior Member

Quicken is really the best. You can get a 30 day trial by calling them up and then buy it after that if you like it. Yes you can use excel but the time it takes to set up and knowledge of programing the cells to do the math for you you'd be better off buying Quicken. I would check on e-bay. I bought a older version (2002) new in box for like $40.
  8. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

Quicken small business and excel both. They work great for me!
  9. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi straightlinelawns,

A lot of our clients use quickbooks for the accounting.
  10. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

I use spreadsheets and databases in ms works. What version do you have? If you want mine to look at for ideas let me know your e-mail.