Taxes for a first year solo guy

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by gulfjoe, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry to confuse the matter. When somebody says it isn't hard, but then says they have done it for weeks, that tells us that the task is taking a long time (read: hard to do). It surely sounded contradictory to me.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

1st year solo? Depending on variables (like how much equipment/assets you bought and how much you invested to go into business) you will likely no owe any taxes, as most start up business don't show a true profit in years 1-3. they are mostly paying themselves back for the start up costs.

IT is worth the extra cash to get a CPA to look over ALL your records and fill out your taxes for you... like i said depending on variables, you will likely not owe taxes the first several years (unless you got some really healthy revenue! ine which case what's a little bit o tax?)

3. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

10 years ago before turbo tax and hr was popular I could agree with you. But now there is no real reason for a solo person to have a CPA. Its not rocket science. What you buy for your business you can write off. I do not do the home office write off. That is generally a red flag for the IRS
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's my next question, I financed a lawn mower, it's not paid off yet, can I still write that off.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

You can write off the payments

The CPA doesn't cost much to prepare taxes
    He will often save you more than the cost difference between him and turbo tax... So it's like making money to hire him
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. britsteroni

britsteroni LawnSite Senior Member

A red flag to the IRS? Why would anyone care about red flags if it is a legit deduction?

Anyone who thinks TurboTax is acceptable for a business owner looking to maximize deductions while trying to keep as much cash in your pocket (read not just buying equipment for the tax write off) really doesn't understand the game and how to play it.

Not trying to be offensive, but you are giving the OP terrible advice while showing your ignorance (home office deduction).

7. whiffyspark

Research it. It is one of the most common deductions people mis use which in turn
    Is a chance to be audited. Its not ignorance it's just simply not worth the chance of me being audited for the small write off it is worth
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. britsteroni

Seriously, you should sit down with a qualified tax professional.

Yes, you can write off the entire purchase this year, but you will then be making payments in the year(s) to come without receiving any deductions for it.

Since this is your first year, I'm guessing you won't be showing much positive income from the lawn care gig, so it might make sense to stretch out the write off as you will be able to avoid self employment taxes on the portion you deduct in the future years.

Good luck!

9. britsteroni

So you're willing to leave money on the table because you're scared of a potential audit? If that's the case, only include your income on your tax return because you don't want to be claiming any suspicious deductions. :rolleyes:

I provide this advice as part of my living. I don't think I need to research anything frankly. You are paying more tax than you need to for no reason. Again, you are a classic example of why the advice you are giving is bad advice.

The home office deduction is legit and there is no reason you shouldn't set aside a portion of your house for exclusive business use if that is an option.

10. whiffyspark

Guess I should have a talk with our advisor. Lol. Hes the one that told us that we shouldn't

Posted via Mobile Device